Mint building

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
MikeDuk

Mint building

Post by MikeDuk »

This is a proposal for a new building, called Mint. It transforms part of the shield production into gold.

Currently there is Coinage for that. But it converts all production into gold, and you can change production at any time.

Researching Economics (or Currency, or some other tech to be defined) would enable Mint and OBSOLETE Coinage.

A Mint would transform a certain amount N of Production (it could be hardcoded or ruleset defined) into Gold. For example, let's say N=10.
In a city with +8 Production, a Mint would yield +8 Gold. The remaining Production would be 0.
In a city with +12 Production, a Mint would yield +10 Gold. The remaining Production would be +2.

Several Mints can be built in a city (the building is not unique). That way, you can build 3 Mints in the same city, for example.
In a city with +8 Production, 3 Mints would yield +8 Gold. The remaining Production would be 0.
In a city with +42 Production, 3 Mints would yield +30 Gold. The remaining Production would be +12.

A Mint would have, for example, Cost=30 and Upkeep=0.

Mints can be sold at any moment for the money they cost to produce.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Mint building

Post by cazfi »

I think this would need one engine features, before a ruleset can have it (at all): An effect to turn specific amount of production to gold.

The "multiple buildings of the same type" is something that I'd like to have at some point, but it's going to require some rather major changes (of course, freeciv-3.3 development is starting in just a couple of days, meaning that the time for any really intrusive changes would be within next couple of months). But in this case, like in many others, you can mostly work around lack of that feature by having multiple similar (but unique) buildings in the ruleset.

(Wishlist) tickets needed. ( https://osdn.net/ticket/newticket.php?group_id=12505 ) - I'll open those myself, if 1) nobody else does it first and 2) I don't forget this before I have the chance.
MikeDuk

Post by MikeDuk »

Ticket created: https://osdn.net/projects/freeciv/ticket/47476

I guess the workaround you say would be having, for example, Mint_1, Mint_2, Mint_3, Mint_4 and Mint_5 in the buildings ruleset, and all would be equal. So once you build Mint_1 you can't build it again, but you can build Mint_2, which is exactly the same.
Lachu
Elite

Post by Lachu »

I think mind is good idea for building, but if it will requires a lot of upkeep and only makes mines or worked tiles with specific resources to generate gold.

Player may to choose place worker on tile with gold, witch is rather mountains, without food production or build mine instead of farm on grassland.

Another idea is to allow mind be built multiple times, as author suggested. Additionally, it requires shield upkeep, but it requires engine changes to allow się m some buildings to be upkeep by shield. In this case, mind could produce gold or boost coinage production by amount of percent. Mint will requires many shield to be built.

Another idea could be new policy. It could be called free market. Decreasing free market increase factory shield output. Increasing will increases factory trade or gold output. But this is another idea.
Lachu
Elite

Post by Lachu »

Sorry. One thought. Increasing free market could made factories to generate additional luxury, but decreasing production bonus. This would be better idea. In previous someone could made factories self-upkeeping.