trade routes in the GTK3 client

Smallpox vs. largepox, gen2 vs gen5, early war vs. peaceful alliances. Which is your favourite gaming style?
3plus4i
Veteran

trade routes in the GTK3 client

Post by 3plus4i »

Is there no way to see what active trade routes a city has? I'm having a hard time managing them, without knowing what I already have. I can display trade routes in the map, but that's pretty cumbersome and doesn't give me any information on revenue.
cazfi
Elite

Re: trade routes in the GTK3 client

Post by cazfi »

3plus4i wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:48 pm Is there no way to see what active trade routes a city has? I'm having a hard time managing them, without knowing what I already have. I can display trade routes in the map, but that's pretty cumbersome and doesn't give me any information on revenue.
On citydlg, hold (the information closes on button release) left mouse button over "Trade" output.
3plus4i
Veteran

Post by 3plus4i »

I had no idea! This client has well hidden features, I can't remember struggling that much with the UI of a game before.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

3plus4i wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:02 pmThis client has well hidden features
Especially that one, being extremely useful (I mean; try the same "hold left mouse" over any of those values) and hard to discover, should be changed. There's a ticket about it, among other UI improvements that I should look at once I get bunch of lower level issues out of the way.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Another "well hidden" feature are the Battle Groups. I just accidentally came across the code that implements them myself, recently. Now they are at least documented in the Help (that was not the case in 3.0.4), and another patch to turn those "hidden keys" in to a discoverable menu is in review.

I guess they have been ported from the warclient at some point, with the idea that people using them know about them.
3plus4i
Veteran

Post by 3plus4i »

cazfi wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:22 am
3plus4i wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:02 pmThis client has well hidden features
Especially that one, being extremely useful (I mean; try the same "hold left mouse" over any of those values) and hard to discover, should be changed. There's a ticket about it, among other UI improvements that I should look at once I get bunch of lower level issues out of the way.
The happiness tab has a hint about clicking and holding for more info, but it didn't occur to me to try that on other tabs.

When I first used the GTK3 client I really disliked it, since I couldn't figure out so many things and parts seemed poorly designed. I took quite a while to gradually learn about things to improve my experience. Maybe the default settings aren't well chosen, I'm not sure, having the message box so hidden certainly isn't.

Does the building tab in the city window have hidden feature as well, by any chance? I only know about double click to add to the end of the work list, drag and drop to reshuffle and DEL (after clicking on any item in the work list) to empty the entire list save for the first entry. I loved the flexibility of the web client with the key+click combos. The reason why I prefer key+click over double click is that my index finger is already at risk of being overstrained from all the clicking over the day (caused me an intractable tendon irritation a few months ago).

Edit: Btw I searched the forum out of curiosity and couldn't find a single occurrence of the term "battle group", I have no idea what that could be.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

3plus4i wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:10 pmEdit: Btw I searched the forum out of curiosity and couldn't find a single occurrence of the term "battle group", I have no idea what that could be.
Groups of units you can quick-select, no matter how they are scattered on the map. Feature mainly for hectic multiplayer, I think.

The "Battle Groups menu" patch went in already, they will be in coming nightly builds.
3plus4i
Veteran

Post by 3plus4i »

Oh, so just like the standard feature from strategy games. Could be useful, I had wondered about that when I use Engineers as a group, moving and working together.
nef
Elite

Post by nef »

cazfi wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:27 am
3plus4i wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:48 pm Is there no way to see what active trade routes a city has? I'm having a hard time managing them, without knowing what I already have. I can display trade routes in the map, but that's pretty cumbersome and doesn't give me any information on revenue.
On citydlg, hold (the information closes on button release) left mouse button over "Trade" output.
There is also a configurable column in the city report (Display -> Number (and total value) of trade routes.) But the citydlg gives the extra detail.
nef
Elite

Post by nef »

3plus4i wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:10 pm
Edit: Btw I searched the forum out of curiosity and couldn't find a single occurrence of the term "battle group", I have no idea what that could be.
Another topic that was discussed and then (almost???) forgotten. Try the low numbered function keys with/without shift(or ctrl?) These can be used to define, add to, or select groups. But one should note there is NO coordination between members of a group: it is simply a method to apply the same command to each unit in a predefined collection.