How to persuade AI to do some basic things in a very different ruleset?

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
cazfi
Elite

Re: How to persuade AI to do some basic things in a very different ruleset?

Post by cazfi »

cazfi wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:02 pmE.g. Reduce the Tribal 100% penalty to Gold and Science to 50% when the player has a Palace.
On a S3_0 autogame with such a change, AI players had switched to Despotism.

For the next run I should also remember to change the AI difficulty level. It's struggling enough without restrictions placed on it by the Easy level.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

cazfi wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:25 am
cazfi wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:02 pmE.g. Reduce the Tribal 100% penalty to Gold and Science to 50% when the player has a Palace.
On a S3_0 autogame with such a change, AI players had switched to Despotism.
Thanks. Now it's a matter of fine tuning. I'd like to avoid Tribal getting too much Trade because of some other advantages, but this is a good start.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Corbeau wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:42 pm I'd like to avoid Tribal getting too much Trade because of some other advantages, but this is a good start.
Depends on your view on AI cheating with your ruleset, but one option might be to make that rule change AI-only (and in the unlikely case that it makes AI OP at that point of game, balance it with something else)
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Are you disabling all AI diplomacy on purpose? AI's not being able to do diplomacy with each other is likely to hit them hard. Maybe you could use "diplomacy nomixed" instead of "diplomacy human"?
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

This ruleset (+ settings) is also very interesting from server performance point of view.

The profile I got from an autogame (granted; just one autogame, on a heavily used server -> other tasks may interfere the profiling) is very different from what I've used to. The things to optimize to get this working more smoothly would be something that has usually not seen as critical.

Another note from that same autogame is that the AI's very divided to two groups; some advanced well, the others remained stuck to the Tribal gov and never got their first tech. This was with the effects change discussed earlier + "Hard" level, but not with any diplomacy setting change.
Ignatus
Elite

Post by Ignatus »

cazfi wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:34 pm Another note from that same autogame is that the AI's very divided to two groups; some advanced well, the others remained stuck to the Tribal gov and never got their first tech.
I remember some AIs develop and some stuck in stone age when you e.g. set big mintradesize. Likely, there should be some randomized mechanics somewhere that help AI sometimes to cope with unexpected settings?