Hexagonal topology as default ?

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Gavroche

Hexagonal topology as default ?

Post by Gavroche »

In [More Game Options…], in the box titled "Games Settings", in the "Geological" tab, at the "Map topology" field, I would like the "Hexagonal" box to be checked by default.

The "Save" button was duly clicked, but the setting is not there when I start the next new game.

I would somehow expect to find this setting in ~/.freeciv/freeciv-client-rc-2.6 , alongside, say, barbarians="DISABLED" and such, in the [Server] section. I tried topology="WRAPX|ISO|HEX", to no avail.

I previously had the "augmented2" modpack although more or less de-activated. This yielded a bunch of minute side effects, including, perhaps, the ability to preserve an hexagonal topology.

Is there a way, or shall I remember to tick that box each time I start a new game ?
cazfi
Elite

Re: Hexagonal topology as default ?

Post by cazfi »

Are you still using freeciv-2.6? Freeciv-3.0 has the hex topology as the default.

However, all this is rather complex when talking about server spawned from the client. For one, even with freeciv-3.0, when you have installed it to a computer that had an earlier version, you're likely to get non-hex topology from your saved settings (from .freeciv-client-rc-2.6). It's also possible that you are using non-hex tileset, which makes map topology compatible with it to get chosen - in case of freeciv-2.6 you may need to change "default_tileset_name" in your freeciv-client-rc-2.6.