Rivers, bridges

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
vego
Veteran

Rivers, bridges

Post by vego »

What do you think about no additional points of move on rivers, id bonus defense behind River and engineres with bridge improvement
Last edited by vego on Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Elefant
Hardened

Re: Rives and bridges

Post by Elefant »

You should be able to implement this in a ruleset. You would just need to add some effects.
Civ 3 tileset: viewtopic.php?t=92953
3d Irrlicht desktop client development: viewtopic.php?t=92289&start=20
vego
Veteran

Post by vego »

Yes maybe i will. I will preparing a wish list to 3.2 or later engine.
vego
Veteran

Post by vego »

I mean my wishlist is mainly dynamic, more realistic and developed battlefield system
Ignatus
Elite

Post by Ignatus »

I thought a while about obstacle extras, like Civ3+ rivers, that give bonuses or delays between tiles. Likely, there will be 4 extra slots "river.nw", "river.n", "river.ne" and "river.e", that will be placed on tile to mark that there is a river at corresponding edge/corner, and effects (in wide sense) that will check the tile's extra or the target tile's extra on acting in the corresponding direction. That will naturally give defense bonus, but, like in Civ3, those rivers will more likely block passage over rather than (like now) ease passage along.
vego
Veteran

Post by vego »

Cool
vego
Veteran

Post by vego »

That easy passage along is very strange. I understand on boat but on this river bonuses are huge. Ancient warrior OP like paratroops. We need to make tons of units against unit from river
Ignatus
Elite

Post by Ignatus »

vego wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:36 pm That easy passage along is very strange. I understand on boat but on this river bonuses are huge. Ancient warrior OP like paratroops. We need to make tons of units against unit from river
Probably that was done to ballance the trade and irrigation bonuses one gets from a river. That may be a huge imbalance when Triremes can navigate rivers and one can land troops in isthmuth that are able to advance the same turn...
vego
Veteran

Re: Rivers, bridges

Post by vego »

Thank you
vego
Veteran

Re: Rivers, bridges

Post by vego »

Triremes if i know was rather fighting on seas. That vikings tried do this. Imo It should be wrong. If about strategies that legion was able kill eveeything in Europe. Only some troubles with Parths, or deserts. So bonuses from rivers for primitive units.