Unit Improvements

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
vego
Veteran

Re: Unit Improvements

Post by vego »

Nice idea. Oil is rather on deserts with high productivity 0/3/0 (Caravel) ans mine is 1/0/0. After upgrades Oil is 2/3/1, and mine1/2/0. With roads and irrigation. For modern civ you need rare resources. When you advance to the next age they appear on the map. Buildings like a Stockpile, a logistics
Ignatus
Elite

Post by Ignatus »

Elefant wrote:As for making unique units by using a tech requirement, I hadn't considered adding a branch to the tech tree. Is it possible to make a player's nation a requirement for researching a tech? My solution was to give an non-researchable tech to a nation and have a building that required it, upon which the unit depended. Two problems were that the AI wouldn't build the building, building the generic unit instead, and that if you were on a team with a nation that had a UU, you would get the tech required to build it, too.
You just make a tech_req for a unit and grant the tech or its prerequisite to a nation. Building generic unit is prevented with obsoleted_by.
vego
Veteran

Post by vego »

So Oil should be collected? Units like tanks splited on two sections (with extra movement <cause oil>, and - 1mov but +1attack cause refinered fuel). But it's so complicated and we are Talking about only Oil. I guess rubber, coal, gold, silver as well do big stake in advance militaty technologies.
vego
Veteran

Post by vego »

Imo if your post is about units improvements, that there is no balanced defence factor for units (in terrain, in city, or by buildings). Pikeman on Mountain with fort, can defend vs Modern units very well. It's absurdity.
Elefant
Hardened

Post by Elefant »

The topic name is poor. I mean ways to improve how units work in the game, but that's a mouthful for a topic name. I think that oil, or refined fuel, or coal, depending on the unit type, would be required to move. In real life, if your tanks don't have fuel, they go nowhere. If you have fuel that they can use, the difference between the fuels wouldn't have an effect in the game. So, if a unit needs fuel, no fuel means no movement and fuel means movement. I didn't think about giving a combat bonus for different fuels, though I guess gasoline vs diesel, diesel would give better range and gasoline would give better performance.
Civ 3 tileset: viewtopic.php?t=92953
3d Irrlicht desktop client development: viewtopic.php?t=92289&start=20
Elefant
Hardened

Post by Elefant »

I guess basically I want the units to behave more like in civ 3 and civ 4, with ranged air combat and strategic resources.
Elefant
Hardened

Post by Elefant »

One way to fix the problem of a pikeman defeating a modern unit like a rifleman would be to split the units into melee, archery, and gunpowder based units, and give each step a large bonus against the last.
vego
Veteran

Post by vego »

Yes. Or just decrease bonuses from terrain. I mean only Forest and Hills have defense bonus. On Mountain only Alpine troops. And no way for fortifying units on Mountain or jungle including specialized units ofc. Forts only on Hills or plain. And as you said units vs units. Pikeman vs Cavarly 150% attack. Muskets vs pikeman 200%.On The other hand we will waiting 5 hours to kill fortifying phalanx by marines.
Last edited by vego on Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elefant
Hardened

Post by Elefant »

To decrease the defense bonus, you could open terrain.ruleset and change the defense_bonus field for the terrain type you want to edit.
vego
Veteran

Post by vego »

And range attack for archers etc. Because freeciv looks like chess