compiling 3.0 upgrade on debian linux armv7 (raspberry pi)

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
stephanepare

compiling 3.0 upgrade on debian linux armv7 (raspberry pi)

Post by stephanepare »

Hi, I downloaded 2.6 from the apt repository and absolutely loved the game. Now I'd like to upgrade to 3.0 but there's a few questions remaining unanswered after reading the docs.

Does it take a long time for new versions to move over to apt with precompiled binaries? If it's under a month, I'll just play 2.6 for a while and wait for the easy risk-free option.

If I compile 3.0, do I uninstall 2.6 completely first, or will it be safely overwritten?

edit: it seems like the latest libatk1.0, dev or not, is limited to 2.30, while the instakll file lists 2.36. Hopefully this will not cause me trouble should I compile it

I didn't find a Debian script, do I do a simple unzip, ./configure and make install, or do I borrow a script from another distribution? I'm currently using the gtk client
cazfi
Elite

Re: compiling 3.0 upgrade on debian linux armv7 (raspberry pi)

Post by cazfi »

Debian is usually been quite quick in packaging our releases (there been cases where they've done it under 24h from our release!), but they seem to be having some problems at the moment - it took two months for them to get 2.6.6, and of course 3.0.0 is completely new release series, so packaging that takes a bit more work than just refreshing old package.

Also, are you using Debian Testing (bookworm) or Unstable (sid). Backports to older releases take more time, if they arrive at all.

--

As for compiling it yourself. I recommend installing to custom prefix, so that it lives alongside your Debian package installation and does not mess with the files that the Debian package management thinks it knows all about (i.e. to not break your system!). That is; use configure option "--prefix=<installation location>". If you install under your home directory, you don't need even root rights to do the build and installation.

The minimum requirements for freeciv-3.0 are certainly available for all supported Debian releases - I regularly build it even on Stretch.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

I usually follow progress of Debian's Freeciv packaging from https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/freeciv
stephanepare

Post by stephanepare »

cazfi wrote:Debian is usually been quite quick in packaging our releases (there been cases where they've done it under 24h from our release!), but they seem to be having some problems at the moment - it took two months for them to get 2.6.6, and of course 3.0.0 is completely new release series, so packaging that takes a bit more work than just refreshing old package.

Also, are you using Debian Testing (bookworm) or Unstable (sid). Backports to older releases take more time, if they arrive at all.

--

As for compiling it yourself. I recommend installing to custom prefix, so that it lives alongside your Debian package installation and does not mess with the files that the Debian package management thinks it knows all about (i.e. to not break your system!). That is; use configure option "--prefix=<installation location>". If you install under your home directory, you don't need even root rights to do the build and installation.

The minimum requirements for freeciv-3.0 are certainly available for all supported Debian releases - I regularly build it even on Stretch.
The latest Debian available on arm devices is bullseye, released just this November. I'm using Buster due to too many bugs in bullseye.

I ended up reading the whole INSTALL document and doing the compiling, I had to install libicu-dev but otherwise all went smooth. Somehow it installed the qt client and I'm seeing no link in my start menu, I had to go search the exact launcher filename and do it by console. There's a few minor bugs but so far it's not bad.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

stephanepare wrote:Somehow it installed the qt client.
If you don't specify which client to build (with the --enable-client configure option), the configure selects one for which you have requirements present. The default is gtk3.22-client, but if that cannot be built, it checks for Qt-client instead. Likely you don't have libgtk-3-dev -package.
stephanepare

Post by stephanepare »

cazfi wrote:
stephanepare wrote:Somehow it installed the qt client.
If you don't specify which client to build (with the --enable-client configure option), the configure selects one for which you have requirements present. The default is gtk3.22-client, but if that cannot be built, it checks for Qt-client instead. Likely you don't have libgtk-3-dev -package.
I just manually deleted the 3.0 files and run a modified version of the mint installation script. Initially I merely did a search for Debian in the script topic and skimmed the rest, but upon a more careful reading, others claimed it works on raspbian (or raspberry pi OS, or Debian ARMv7, however you choose to call it), so I launched it replacing apt-get with apt due to better disconnection handling and it's running now.

It downloaded libraries which I missed on my own attempts, I have a feeling it will give me better results