Freeciv 3 for macOS?

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.
420nm

Re: Freeciv 3 for macOS?

Post by 420nm »

Good news: it runs!

Thanks for your good work and patience with me!

Screenshot:

The colours and icons (esp. the menus) are quit hard to read...
Dino the Dinosore
Hardened

Post by Dino the Dinosore »

Glad to hear it. The readme.txt file explains how to switch the graphics client, if you prefer the other one.

Yes the qt client is quite different than the gtk3.22 client. I prefer it because it has more features but I agree there are icons that I have no idea of what they are. The menus look OK to me.
420nm

Post by 420nm »

Kudos go to Dino the Dinosore for making new versions of Freeciv 3.0.0 for macOS 10.15 (and below) and putting them into the dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/buypyjprsbvq ... ZGrSa?dl=0

His message was:
MacOS 10 versions are now in the dropbox.

The "10.13 - 10.14 freeciv 3.0.0.zip" is gtk3.22 client.
The "10.15 freeciv 3.0.0.zip" has qt as default client, gtk3.22 client can also be chosen by following directions in the readme.txt file.

I think the "MacOS 11 freeciv 3.0.0.zip" works with all versions of MacOS 11. It has qt as default client, gtk3.22 client can also be chosen.

Apple has already moved on to MacOS 12, I'll start exploring that next.
Dino the Dinosore
Hardened

The "MacOS 11 freeciv 3.0.0.zip" has been updated with a bug fix for the qt client. The "Game" menu now shows the "Options >" sub-menu.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Dino the Dinosore wrote:The "MacOS 11 freeciv 3.0.0.zip" has been updated with a bug fix for the qt client. The "Game" menu now shows the "Options >" sub-menu.
Could you adjust your version numbering scheme to indicate that this in fact isn't something built from freeciv-3.0.0 sources, but a modified version (with a patch backported from 3.0.1 development). Call it, e.g., 3.0.0-1?
Dino the Dinosore
Hardened

Done
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

I think we should work toward making your builds our official MacOS releases.

First I would like to know if you have any build scripts (or other similar material) that should be made available (for GPL compliance - people need to be able to do the same build process themselves) for people using your binaries?
Dino the Dinosore
Hardened

Agree that would be a good idea. It should be possible to make a script that does everything needed. Problem is that I am not a unix expert, and don't know how to write a script. Maybe we could work together on it, suggest you send me an email.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Dino the Dinosore wrote:suggest you send me an email.
Could that discussion take place on freeciv-dev: https://www.freelists.org/list/freeciv-dev ?
Dino the Dinosore
Hardened

Sent an email to freeciv-dev.