How do you capture resources from tile

Smallpox vs. largepox, gen2 vs gen5, early war vs. peaceful alliances. Which is your favourite gaming style?
visionm

How do you capture resources from tile

Post by visionm »

Hi. I am still trying to learn this game and I cant figure out how to get luxuries from tiles like wines or silk. What do you need to do to get the luxuries?
Molo_Parko
Hardened

Re: How do you capture resources from tile

Post by Molo_Parko »

The tile must be within the city's radius (not darkened when viewed in the city window.) The tile must also not be worked by a nearby competing tribe's city.

A citizen of the city must work a tile in order to get any value from the tile. Any bonus value from the tile is automatically accrued when the tile is being worked. Some tiles are limited by Government. Despotism limits irrigated grassland to 2 food, whereas Monarchy allows the full value of the tile which is 3 food.

The size of the city determines how many citizens are available to work tiles. At size one, only one tile other than the city itself can be worked.

The city governor determines which tiles are worked by the city citizens.

The city governor setting determines the criteria used. For instance, if the governor is set to prefer Production rather than Food, then a jungle tile with fruit which would give 4 food might not be worked because although it is a high value tile for food, it is a big fat ZERO for production. If a forest tile is within the city radius, the forest tile will be worked instead of the jungle/fruit tile if the governor is set to Production instead of Food.

So as you can see, it depends on practically everything. :)
visionm

Post by visionm »

Thanks for the quick reply!

So maybe i'm not exactly clear what luxury resources provide. Do they only provide bonus food/shield/gold or do they also provide a luxury in the city?

So for example I have a wine tile that matches all of the criteria that you said but in the city around which the wines exist I have 0 Luxury. Shouldn't this number be 1 or do luxury resources not contribute to the happiness of the cities?

I am coming from civ 3 and so I may be getting the rulesets confused.
Molo_Parko
Hardened

Post by Molo_Parko »

Ahh! That is about TAXES. If your tribe's income is -all- spent on "science" (research), or kept/spent as gold for production, then no luxuries. You can adjust the tax rates to spend more for luxuries. Or try building a caravan, then send it to a peaceful tribe's town to create a trade route for the city - then check luxuries again. And/or build a marketplace or bank or stock exchange to increase existing trade. And/or put roads on flat-land tiles which are being worked (grassland, plains, desert, but not forest, swamp, hill, mountain etc.)

0 luxury means no income is going to luxuries. All to science or spent for production.
visionm

Post by visionm »

Thanks for the clarification. So then as I understand it then luxury resources do not directly affect the happiness of the empire but the income gained, from working the luxury tile, or by any other means can be spent on luxuries to improve the mood of the empire. Is this correct?
Molo_Parko
Hardened

Post by Molo_Parko »

Yes! As far as I am aware, although things change quickly with the varying branches of the software. Tiles offer 3 types of value: food, production/shields, and trade. None of those directly affects luxuries for citizens of a city. Instead luxuries come through tax/research/luxuries rates (which affects the whole kingdom), wonders (which affect one, or more, or all cities), and assigning citizens of a city as entertainers instead of working tiles (and which affects only that city.)
visionm

Post by visionm »

Thanks again! that helps a lot :D
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

visionm wrote:Hi. I am still trying to learn this game and I cant figure out how to get luxuries from tiles like wines or silk. What do you need to do to get the luxuries?
Hello. This is as good place to start as any:
(Free)civ for absolute beginners - a short introduction
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
FalmatTaali

Post by FalmatTaali »

want to follow the thread
and thanx for all the links you shared
FitchAmica

Post by FitchAmica »

Have you found the information provided helpful in understanding how to gain luxuries from tiles in the game, or do you have any specific questions about the game mechanics?
:)