Trying to Set Up FreeCiv Web Server for a School Club

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
dochxp

Trying to Set Up FreeCiv Web Server for a School Club

Post by dochxp »

Hi there. I am new here. I am a teacher and want to set up our own FreeCiv Web server for a more secure and manageable experience for the children, and so we can play through a web browser.

We are having constant issues following the methods that we have found online and have not yet been successful using Vagrant or Docker. We always at some point get a 'you do not have permission' error message when we most definitely do have all permissions for the actual machine.

I have even had our IT support company engineers look at it and they have said it must be a problem with the package as they also got the same on their own personal devices.

Anyone have any further advice or more detailed guidance for the set up at all? I would love to be able to do this with the children.

Thanks,
Elefant
Hardened

Re: Trying to Set Up FreeCiv Web Server for a School Club

Post by Elefant »

What OS are you running? Also, in my experience with freeciv-web, if you follow the directions in the readme file exactly (especially the part where you get the source code using the git command) it works. It seems the the latest code is often unstable, and you need to use the branch specified in the instructions.
Civ 3 tileset: viewtopic.php?t=92953
3d Irrlicht desktop client development: viewtopic.php?t=92289&start=20
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

dochxp wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:27 amusing Vagrant or Docker.
Assuming we talk about freeciv/freeciv-web github project, and not some fork of it, I test maintenance updates with Docker, so at least that side should work. It's years since I last tried the Vagrant setup.
Elefant
Hardened

Post by Elefant »

I've run it using vagrant on Linux and windows. If you post your OS, I can try a fresh install and see if I can find a solution. Also, in my previous post I said that the branch was important. I think it might actually be the --depth=10. I don't know for sure, though.
Elefant
Hardened

Post by Elefant »

Did you get it working?