Your Battleship was bribed

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.
MikeDuk

Your Battleship was bribed

Post by MikeDuk »

Hi.

I had a Battleship on a sea tile, adjacent to an enemy city. I got the message "Your Battleship was bribed by the Moravians" and it was gone.

I thought Diplomats and Spies could only bribe units on land. If this is the intended behaviour, could I board a Transport with Spies and move it next to an enemy's AEGIS Cruiser in mid-ocean and bribe it?
Ignatus
Elite

Re: Your Battleship was bribed

Post by Ignatus »

Bribing at coast is possibility as old as diplomat units themselves although in older version there have been some technical problems in the process. The diplomats though usually are prohibited by the ruleset to act if they are transported by a ship or (if it is possible) a helicopter.
Dino the Dinosore
Hardened

Post by Dino the Dinosore »

I remember way back when in Sid's original Civ2 that I used a diplomat on land to bribe an adjacent ship.
PatTheCatMcDonald

Post by PatTheCatMcDonald »

This is a tactic I use, to acquire a navy without building all of it. One snag is that the new unit will have the same home city as the spy that bribed it, which can be a problem.

I guess it would also work on Bombers and Stealth bombers BUT - Only single units on their own can be bribed. A bribe attempt on a stack of two or more units will be a wasted move. And if the spy isn't on land, doesn't seem to be an option.

I wasted a lot of moves trying to bribe pirate . babarian cities and units. Oddly enough they are always unbribeable iike a democracy.

I guess they are pirates for the violence rather than the cash.

It's a very expensive way to get units though. Although I'll typically pay for a few early battleships just to start whacking the marauding AI bombarding ships,

Sink a few and the AI will usually give up on the bombardment and retreat.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Dino the Dinosore wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:34 am I remember way back when in Sid's original Civ2 that I used a diplomat on land to bribe an adjacent ship.
In a Freeciv game over twenty years ago my opponent was cheering when his Ironclad had taken defenses of a key city down to one defense zero diplomat and had land forces ready to conquer. Oh, his agony when I used that diplomat to bribe his Ironclad, and then killed his land unit stack with the Ironclad.
Dino the Dinosore
Hardened

Post by Dino the Dinosore »

wasted a lot of moves trying to bribe pirate . babarian cities and units. Oddly enough they are always unbribeable iike a democracy.
In the original Civ2 you could bribe barbarian units, not sure if that works in current freeciv rulesets. If it doesn't, I think it should be made possible.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Dino the Dinosore wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:26 amIn the original Civ2 you could bribe barbarian units, not sure if that works in current freeciv rulesets. If it doesn't, I think it should be made possible.
At least there's no limitation documented (looking at freeciv-3.0). doc/README.actions does not list barbarians related hardcoded requirements for "Bribe Unit" action, nor does any of civ2/classic/civ2civ3 rulesets (didn't check others) have such requirement (against barbarian players) for their "Bribe Unit" enabler. In classic/civ2civ3 there is a requirement that unit type itself is not unbribable - and "Barbarian Leader" is.
Ignatus
Elite

Post by Ignatus »

cazfi wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:27 amIn classic/civ2civ3 there is a requirement that unit type itself is not unbribable - and "Barbarian Leader" is.
Barbarian leader is not only unbribable, it also has SuperSpy flag that defends his tile from any kind of diplomatic attack (the diplomat performing it always loses).
nef
Elite

Post by nef »

In civ1 (fc.6) I bribe barb units all the time. Especially helpful if all I have left in a city is a diplomat.