Qt portable version for Windows

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
MikeDuk

Qt portable version for Windows

Post by MikeDuk »

Would it be possible/feasible to create a portable version for the Qt client and publish it at https://www.freeciv.org/download.html?

Just a zipfile to uncompress all contents into a folder and play from there.

I know a portable version for the GTK client can be found at Portableapps.com.

Thanks.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Qt portable version for Windows

Post by cazfi »

MikeDuk wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:12 amJust a zipfile to uncompress all contents into a folder and play from there.
Our installer isn't doing anything much more than extracting their content to the destination directory, so this sounds doable. Maybe as a byproduct of the full installer build (once we have all the content in a directory, create also a .zip of it, in addition to putting it to the final installer)
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

One thing I should be able to do quickly is starting to upload intermediate zips (actually: .7z) of the nightly installer_cross builds again. We used to do that, but they seemed to only confuse people, with nobody actually needing them.

viewtopic.php?t=91989

The caveats:
- They are based on installer_cross, not msys2 environment. They are functional, but might have some rough edges - it's up to users to decide how big an issue this is
- The freeciv .7z contains only stuff from actual freeciv build. You also need the crosser environment (another .7z). There's a couple of ways to either merge the directory trees (to extract freeciv .7z inside the tree extracted from crosser .7z), or to use them in parallel.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

cazfi wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:37 am One thing I should be able to do quickly is starting to upload intermediate zips (actually: .7z) of the nightly installer_cross builds again.
Sorry it took so long, but I've now enabled that, a couple of hours ago. Seems like nightly build of freeciv-3.1 already picked the change: https://files.freeciv.org/nightly/S3_1/ ... /portable/ There has been no new freeciv-3.0 build this night, as the freeciv code has not changed (only the nightly build scripts)
MikeDuk

Post by MikeDuk »

What would I need to execute it on Windows? The crosser pack? Does it contain the DLLs that are missing when I execute a Qt6 version from https://files.freeciv.org/nightly/S3_1/ ... /portable/?

Thank you.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

MikeDuk wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:23 am What would I need to execute it on Windows? The crosser pack? Does it contain the DLLs that are missing when I execute a Qt6 version from https://files.freeciv.org/nightly/S3_1/ ... /portable/?
Yes, crosser pack matching the build. That's crosser-2.5 at the moment, but expected to change to crosser-2.6 very soon (maybe even today -> before build coming night). (osdn #47665)

As for actually using them together, there are some instructions at https://sourceforge.net/p/crosser/wiki/ ... 20freeciv/ , but it has been many years since I last used that particular method myself -> it may need adjustments to work with current crosser and freeciv versions.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

cazfi wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:37 am One thing I should be able to do quickly is starting to upload intermediate zips (actually: .7z) of the nightly installer_cross builds again.
To go beyond "quick hacks", I think we can provide proper support in freeciv-3.2, with some things backported to freeciv-3.1. The main thing here is that I'd rather invest my time to make it work on meson based builds (-> in the future) than on autotools based solution that Windows builds still use in freeciv-3.1.
MikeDuk

Post by MikeDuk »

Thank you, cazfi.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

First step towards this is getting 7z to the msys2 environment we use for building. There's now new environment version with that addition in review: osdn #48218. I expect things to do progress quickly now on, despite summer vacations, and that 3.2 and 3.3 snapshot builds will have portable versions included starting within a month.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

The main ticket: osdn #48408 (osdn is currently having issues, so the link might not open)