On-line ruleset manuals

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.
cazfi
Elite

On-line ruleset manuals

Post by cazfi »

As there seems to be nobody updating the ruleset information in the wiki at the moment, I just dumped freeciv-3.0 autogenerated manuals of civ2civ3 and classic rulesets there, without any hand-editing (even to fix potential broken image links - also, bit funny that wiki presents sometimes very outdated images from amplio (not even amplio2!) when the freeciv default is hexemplio). Better than not having 3.0 manuals at all?

https://www.freeciv.org/wiki/Rulesets/3.0
cazfi
Elite

Re: On-line ruleset manuals

Post by cazfi »

I've been under impression that manual generator output has been used as the base of wiki updates since it was first implemented, for freeciv-2.0, in 2004. Just that a lot of hand-editing has been necessary to process that output.

Some parts of the manual created by freeciv-3.0 manual generator make it hard to believe that it has been in production use that long!

I believe there has been some updates to it during 3.1 cycle, though, I'll be testing that (i.e. creating freeciv-3.1 manuals) soonish - at least as soon as 3.1.0-alpha5 gets released.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

How exactly did you do this?
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Corbeau wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:26 pmHow exactly did you do this?
Not much magic here. Just run freeciv-manual --ruleset <ruleset> and pasted contents of each of the produced files to the wiki.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

As civ2civ3 had a rule change in 3.0.5, regenerated its documentation.
Added alien ruleset documentation.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Going to generate manuals for some of the freeciv-3.1 rulesets with 3.1.0-alpha5. The default (civ2civ3) is already up.

https://www.freeciv.org/wiki/Rulesets/3.1