GTK3 client message box

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
3plus4i
Veteran

GTK3 client message box

Post by 3plus4i »

Please please PLEASE, for the love of god, make it possible to have the message box visible on the main screen. It's one of the most important elements of the game and hiding it in it's own tab is the main reason why I currently regard the GTK client as unusable. If it is already possible, I could not find where to do it. Curiously enough I saw it at the bottom of the main window, on a video using the GTK client. I also found an option to keep messages of previous rounds, at least that's how I interpret it, but it didn't seem to have an effect. I really like the message box from freeciv-web, it's visible all the time, keeps messages by default and has a clear marking for the start of a new turn.
cazfi
Elite

Re: GTK3 client message box

Post by cazfi »

3plus4i wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:21 pmmake it possible to have the message box visible on the main screen.
I think that's the default unless you have so small display that it wants to save the screen space. Anyway, relevant options are: Game -> Options -> Local Client -> Interface -> Arrange widgets for small display (untick) and ... Messages and Chat reports location (I prefer "Separate")
3plus4i
Veteran

Post by 3plus4i »

I have to check, I was looking around but couldn't find an option before. That would change usability drastically. The only thing I'm really missing would be more specific shortcuts for managing the worklist, like the web version has them.
3plus4i
Veteran

Post by 3plus4i »

I managed to get it into a separate window. Can I also add it to a panel, like the map? Is the panel on the left the only available one?
3plus4i
Veteran

Post by 3plus4i »

Nvm, after restarting the client, the message box has it's own panel now. That seems to be necessary for many changes, which kinda makes sense. As far as I can tell the messages are also kept beyond the end of the round now, which also didn't seem to work at first after I changed that option. The experience is already so much more pleasant now, thank goodness.