What about this "Culture" value ?

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Gavroche

What about this "Culture" value ?

Post by Gavroche »

I see a "Culture" line in the stats of my cities. So far the value has always been exactly null (zero, nada, nought, 0 …)

I also see the relevant article on Fandom, a bit dry to my taste.

So, how does one play the "Culture" angle ?
Ignatus
Elite

Re: What about this "Culture" value ?

Post by Ignatus »

Probably you just play with rulesets that have no culture effects (classic, civ1, civ2...), then your culture value is supposed to stay 0. Or maybe your gameplay style is never building anything other than barracks ;-)
Gavroche

Post by Gavroche »

When starting a new game, I currently leave the Ruleset option at default. I don't really know which ruleset is thus selected.

Which value should I select if I wanted to give this Culture thing a try ?

Also, in the "Internal" tab of "Game Settings", at "What kind of victories are possible", the "Culture victory" box is duly checked.
Ignatus
Elite

Post by Ignatus »

Gavroche wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:05 pm When starting a new game, I currently leave the Ruleset option at default. I don't really know which ruleset is thus selected.

Which value should I select if I wanted to give this Culture thing a try ?

Also, in the "Internal" tab of "Game Settings", at "What kind of victories are possible", the "Culture victory" box is duly checked.
What ruleset is default depends on game version, it's either Classic or Civ2civ3, you may check the chat console on game start to know and switch to another one if needed. The latter has some basic culture features and you may turn the victory on. Experimental is another one but it's more for demonstration and has some less playable features. Also, look at the cprresponding section of this forum for other rulesets, few people yet have made them with cultural effects but some have.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Help -> About Current Ruleset

also tells the ruleset in use, once you are in the game.
Gavroche

Post by Gavroche »

OK thanks that does it.

So my (2.6) "default" is "classic". That's a start. My next step will probably be a game with the civ2civ3 ruleset.

I've started to read /usr/share/games/freeciv/civ2civ3/README.civ2civ3 : whoa, that's a lot of information to process…