Irrlicht (Cross platform 3d game engine) Client

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
Elefant
Veteran

Re: Irrlicht (Cross platform 3d game engine) Client

Post by Elefant »

Working on windows, it is harder to make a proper client than I expected (mainly due to the fact that diff doesn't run on windows and I can't figure out how to compile gui-stub). Consequently, I will probably focus on adding features to the demo to test them, and slowly try to integrate them into a proper client. (I made the demo with visual studio)
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Elefant wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:21 pm I can't figure out how to compile gui-stub).
On autotools build: --enable-client=stub. Meson side has no support for building gui-stub yet, but it should be fairly simple to add.

I don't think I've ever built gui-stub on Windows, though. I'll test that when I have free slot on my Windows build queue (my Windows build machine is currently quite busy, with 3.0.2 release approaching, and also some bootstrap features needing testing)
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

You could also take discussion about any development obstacles to the freeciv-dev mailing list: https://www.freelists.org/list/freeciv-dev
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

I did a small refresh to http://www.freeciv.org/wiki/Msys2_As_De ... nvironment
Maybe you find it useful? (it's not completely accurate with its assumptions, though, e.g., at the current moment it won't work for S3_0)
Elefant
Veteran

Post by Elefant »

Thanks, but I got a Debian machine to do development on. However, I am having a problem with sqlite, where I have it installed (if I run sqlite3 in the terminal, it gives me a version), but autogen.sh can't find it. Also, do you have any programs that you recommend for development, such as an IDE?
Last edited by Elefant on Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Elefant wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:02 pm Thanks, but I got a Debian machine to do development on. However, I am having a problem with sqlite, where I have it installed (if I run sqlite3 in the terminal, it gives me a version), but autogen.sh can't find it.
Likely, you have just the runtime package, but not the -dev package (containing headers etc. needed to develop/build anything against it).

In this particular case it would be libsqlite3-dev package.
Elefant
Veteran

Post by Elefant »

That would be the problem. Thanks.
Elefant
Veteran

Post by Elefant »

Update: Unfortunately, due to time constraints and other projects I need to get done, this project has fallen to the wayside, and will not be completed in the foreseeable future. I got very little done, so what I have done is worthless as a starting point to someone else. If someone else wants to try making an Irrlicht client, it's probably best to start from scratch.