i noticed that the game shows my ip wrong

Join us, meet players from all around the world, challenge the strongest top players, practice and be one of them!
barg

i noticed that the game shows my ip wrong

Post by barg »

so i was playing freeciv and then i started edit mode for see how the map looked, then it displayed my ip in chat, the thing is that it was a diffrerent ip that my pc showed me, idk if its a error or is maybe the pc is wrong, but well im just saying
if you enter cmd and write "ipconfig" it will display info and i suppose my ip is the one that says ipv4 so well
anyone knows? it is an already installed proxy or just it was gotten bad? idk if someone knows please say me
Molo_Parko
Hardened

Re: i noticed that the game shows my ip wrong

Post by Molo_Parko »

barg

Post by barg »

oh well, i read the article but in my phone cuz this trashy pc says that the page didnt respond for too long and says ERR_TIMED_OUT, and well i saw the article and the ip page didnt load too so i used myip.com, and well it is safe that people see my ip apart for the private one (the one that appears in cmd, starting in one of the numbers of privates ip that the page said) and sorry if the page said it and i missed but english is not my first language
Molo_Parko
Hardened

Post by Molo_Parko »

If your computer has a private IP address, then the public IP address belongs to a router between your computer and the Internet. There is no direct connection by IP address from the Internet to your computer in that case, but rather all connections from the Internet must pass through the router to get to your computer. It is "safer" than having your computer directly connected to the Internet with a public IP address.

Anyone who sees the public IP address can directly address the router, which may or may not be configured to ignore unrequested incoming connections (like a firewall.)

Even if unrequested incoming connections are passed through the router to your computer, your computer may also be configured to ignore them.

That is currently a fairly standard level of "security" for Internet access.

Nothing connected to the Internet is truly "safe", but the amount of time and effort required to gain control of your computer through the router would likely be too great for 99.99999% of humans to even try, let alone to succeed.
FalmatTaali

Post by FalmatTaali »

I've encountered a similar situation before. Sometimes, games may show a different IP due to various reasons like network configurations or the game's settings (here are more reasons for an incorrect IP location). Your PC's IP (from "ipconfig") is usually the one to consider for network-related tasks. It's possible it's just a game display issue. If it doesn't affect your gameplay or security, you should be fine.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Maybe you saw '127.0.0.1'? That's 'localhost', i.e., the IP that always routes to the machine itself, and the IP that client uses to connect to the server it has spawned itself.
More generally, you may have multiple network interfaces with their own IPs.