Useless bombers?

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
AlanH

Useless bombers?

Post by AlanH »

New player here, although I've tried every version of paid-for Civ.
Greatly impressed with the few terminated games I've played, but the current one has progressed to modern times and I'm stuck in an endless war without an embassy.
Problem: bombers appear to be almost useless. Waves of attacks with them have very little effect on a city. Thinking this was strange, I attacked a single enemy worker - first with a helicopter expecting to remove the worker at once (it didn't) - and then with a bomber. Neither had the desired effect. The worker carried on barely losing any hit points.
What is going on?
Why are aircraft so useless?
I exclude fighters as they do a reasonable job.
Can someone with experience enlighten me?
I'm playing the version for Win 11 downloaded about a week ago (prior to the April 26 updated version).
Thanks.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Useless bombers?

Post by cazfi »

In civ2civ3 (current default) ruleset both Helicopter and Bomber do bombarding instead of regular attacks. It's pretty useless against a single unit, but should help the offensive when there's a big stack of defenders, all of them taking the damage.

Helicopter does two rounds with firepower of 1. Bomber does three rounds with firepower of 1. Stealth Bomber does four rounds with firepower of 1. These values might be a bit on the low side, but I haven't played much with the civ2civ3 ruleset to have first hand experience.
AlanH

Re: Useless bombers?

Post by AlanH »

Thanks. That's helpful.