Hey, what's happening

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
milsu

Hey, what's happening

Post by milsu »

Hello! I haven't been playing Freeciv for years. I am using Windows 10.

I have downloaded version 3.1.0, Mainstream Client, but it wouldn't start the game. Ok, I have uninstalled it and installed 3.0.10 instead. I have started the game, and got some weird ruleset, in which I am losing technology, Wonders of the World are very different than I am used to, etc. Then I have seen it was "Civ2/Civ3" ruleset. Ok, I have started a new game with "Classic" ruleset and disabled all options regarding losing technology. But it is still completely the same as the previous time.

How to set the standard ruleset in which for example Magellan Expedition is not obsolete, I am not losing technology, etc, if you know what I mean?
cazfi
Elite

Re: Hey, what's happening

Post by cazfi »

What does Help -> About Current Ruleset say the current ruleset to be? Is it civ2civ3 despite you selecting classic before launching the game?
milsu

Post by milsu »

cazfi wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:20 am What does Help -> About Current Ruleset say the current ruleset to be? Is it civ2civ3 despite you selecting classic before launching the game?
Yes, it is "ci2civ3" ruleset despite me selecting the "classic" ruleset. But I am playing on the map of Europe, maybe only "civ2civ3" ruleset is available on this map.

Is there any version of Freeciv still available where I can play the map of Europe with the "classic" ruleset?
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Umh, how do you achieve first selecting "classic" ruleset, and then playing a scenario game? There's no ruleset selection when you start a scenario from the client.

If you run server separately, you should be able to set ruleset first, and then to load europe scenario (this does not work with all scenarios, but most of the scenarios included in freeciv distribution can be played with multiple rulesets):

Code: Select all

> rulesetdir classic
> load europe
milsu

Post by milsu »

cazfi wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:04 am Umh, how do you achieve first selecting "classic" ruleset, and then playing a scenario game? There's no ruleset selection when you start a scenario from the client.
I start scenario, then there is the option to change the ruleset, near the option to set AI difficulty.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Thanks. I don't think that (widget of the standard pre-game page) should be there in case of scenarios, as scenarios cannot be used with just any ruleset (think about a scenario with units that do not exist in rules). And anyway the ruleset should be loaded before the scenario that uses it.
milsu

Post by milsu »

cazfi wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:04 am If you run server separately, you should be able to set ruleset first, and then to load europe scenario (this does not work with all scenarios, but most of the scenarios included in freeciv distribution can be played with multiple rulesets):

Code: Select all

> rulesetdir classic
> load europe
I did this, opened the server first, typed "rulesetdir classic", and then "load europe", but when I start the Europe map, it is still "civ2civ3" ruleset. I think I saw that "classic" ruleset was default before version 2.6, so I should search for some previous versions of the game.
milsu

Post by milsu »

I have tried both 2.5.12 and 2.6.11 versions, and I can confirm that both got "classic" ruleset by default for the map of Europe. But I will stick to 2.5.12 because it got the prettiest user interface.
Elefant
Hardened

Post by Elefant »

What clients are you using for 2.6.11 vs 2.5.12?
Civ 3 tileset: viewtopic.php?t=92953
3d Irrlicht desktop client development: viewtopic.php?t=92289&start=20
milsu

Post by milsu »

Elefant wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:14 pm What clients are you using for 2.6.11 vs 2.5.12?
Mainstream client.