How do I change Ruleset

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
ARGHouse

How do I change Ruleset

Post by ARGHouse »

Hi I am new to Freeciv, how do I change the ruleset that Freeciv single player uses? I haven't managed to figure it out yet.
jwrober

Re: How do I change Ruleset

Post by jwrober »

Do you want to edit an existing one, or just play one of the others that come with the game installer?

If the answer is the latter - you can pick the ruleset from the new game screen on the right side of the window/panel.

Editing rulesets is a bit harder. You will find them in the data directory on windows and in the /usr/local/freeciv directory on Linux. Those locations are often read only so copying files is needed to really edit them without having to elevate privs.

The freeciv wiki might have some notes there. You can find the link from the main freeciv.org page.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

jwrober wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:05 pmIf the answer is the latter - you can pick the ruleset from the new game screen on the right side of the window/panel.
This should be obvious with gtk-, or qt-clients. sdl2-client does not have such a ruleset menu, so you need to change it by giving "/rulesetdir" command to the server via chatline.

Code: Select all

> /help rulesetdir
Command: rulesetdir  -  Choose new ruleset directory or modpack.
Synopsis: rulesetdir <directory>
Level: ctrl
This should work even on freeciv-web (in case your question wasn't really about the native freeciv)
ARGHouse

Post by ARGHouse »

Yep, my question was regarding native freeciv. I am trying out the SDL2 version, so no ingame menu to change the ruleset.
PoleBlogy

Post by PoleBlogy »

How do you change the ruleset in the SDL2 version of native Freeciv when there is no in-game menu available for that purpose?
:)
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

PoleBlogy wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:12 am How do you change the ruleset in the SDL2 version of native Freeciv when there is no in-game menu available for that purpose?
Either run server separately, and give "rulesetdir" -command directly to it (Try "help rulesetdir" first) OR command server via the client chatline. Prepend server commands with a "/" and chat will interpret them as such (and not chat to other players). E.g. in the pre-game screen chat you can say "/rulesetdir classic" to switch to classic ruleset.