At what point can opening a trade route be considered hostile ?

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
Gavroche

At what point can opening a trade route be considered hostile ?

Post by Gavroche »

I tend to open trade routes ASAP, because gold but also in the dim hope that trade nuture friendship. It would seem, however, that new trade routes worsen the neighbour's attitude. Has anybody else noticed that ? What would be the "just right" moment to open trade routes with a neighbour who's still neutral or moderately agressive ?

(I mostly play the "classic" ruleset these days. Is it any different with the new default ?)
cazfi
Elite

Re: At what point can opening a trade route be considered hostile ?

Post by cazfi »

AFAIK trade routes have no direct effect on AIs love. But maybe it's that trade routes make you stronger, to be considered more of a threat.
Ignatus
Elite

Post by Ignatus »

AI love slightly decreases for any your unit in the AI's territory at turn end. So, while it is not influenced by opening TR, way of your caravan to the target may worsen things. Try giving gifts (offering treaties with all clauses profitable for the other side) for some improvement.
Molo_Parko
Hardened

Post by Molo_Parko »

CamelSprint Lua script at this link: viewtopic.php?p=109100#p109100

Allows a Caravan's camel to rest outside enemy territory, and then to sprint forward as many tiles in a single turn as the number of turns spent resting so that a trade route can be established without the Caravan being in the tribe's territory during turn-end.
AaronHunter

Post by AaronHunter »

opening a trade route is usually considered hostile if your trading partner decides to attack you at some point. This can be an unpleasant surprise, and usually happens when you already have an active trade route established with another nation and your relationship with them suddenly deteriorates. In such a case, your trade route can be used to move enemy troops into your territories.
Carrytib

Post by Carrytib »

How do you typically manage diplomatic relations with your neighbors when opening trade routes, considering the potential impact on their attitudes and the risk of military actions?
:)
AgeeNob

Post by AgeeNob »

Carrytib wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:45 am How do you typically manage diplomatic relations with your neighbors when opening trade routes, considering the potential impact on their attitudes and the risk of military actions?
Trade routes are my diplomatic chessboard. I play the "Cultural Exchange Gambit" – flooding their cities with my exotic goods, turning them into fans of my civilization. If things get dicey, I activate the "Strategic Sugarcoating" maneuver, throwing gifts and treaties their way, masking any suspicion of my burgeoning economic conquest. It's all about sweetening the deal while making sure my caravans roll smoothly through both commerce and alliances.
:)
tosunpasha

Post by tosunpasha »

Before initiating trade routes, assess the current political climate and relationships with neighboring countries. Understand their attitudes, alliances, and potential concerns regarding trade.
fethiye tours