Freeciv Web Discord censorship log

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
Corbeau
Elite

Freeciv Web Discord censorship log

Post by Corbeau »

I don't think this will interest many people, but I firmly believe that any kind of information should be out in the open and available for whoever may want to check things out, purely for filing purposes. This is why I am writing this. Not to complain, whine or incite any kind of action, but to document events, if nothing else, for future reference, in case anyone asks, so that I can simply drop a link.

So, after many months of calm, in the past few days stuff started escalating on FCW Discord server. I don't know why and I don't care. I'm not wasting my time and energy on analysis. I will also not make value judgements, just lay down facts. People are usually able to make their own conclusions.

In the past 48 hours there were several cases of censorship, post deletions and silencing.

Case 1.
After a multi-page harangue and personal insults by "Lexxie and Qrtv", firstly I replied something along the lines that "Lexxie and Qrtv are the same person". This post got deleted.

Immediately after that, as a part of the same "discussion", I wrote, roughly, "I love these people! I start with 'I am not an expert player' and then the next few screens they try to prove that I am not an expert player!" The post was also deleted and I was admin-silenced for 24 hours. The insults were not deleted, nor were the people who made them sanctioned.

Case 2.
A FCW player asked for an extension of turn to 35 hours explaining it by him having to use 4 hours to play a turn. Another user subsequently asked, roughly, "how is it possible that it takes 4 hours to play a turn?" This second post was deleted and the user silenced for an unknown period of time.

(For possible context: before this, on another server, the same user expressed his astonishment at the 4 hours statement and wrote: "I'm not looking down on them for requesting more time. The fact that a ruleset is so poorly designed that it requires turn extensions reflects on the ruleset designer, not the player.")

Case 3.
Lexxie wrote the following: "Support for 3D had to be removed because of a "gotcha-catch-22" licensing attribution request that was deliberately engineered to be impossible to fulfill. FCW will continue to be privately inteterested in the 3D development project but for now we must publicly disassociate until such time as legal issues are resolved. "

I replied: "For factual clarity, from the screenshot I saw, I would say that support for 3D didn't have to be removed at all. Everything that was requested was to attribute it properly. Instead, it was obviously decided to pull the whole chunk of code rather than sign the contribution."

This reply was deleted and I got a ten-minute ban on posting on the server.

-------

This is it so far. If anyone experienced similar actions, feel free to add them here.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
Corbeau
Elite

Re: Freeciv Web Discord censorship log

Post by Corbeau »

Another one I just remembered. As a reply in a discussion about rulesets available for the native client, I added something like:

"With native client you can also make your own adjustments to rulesets. Also, you can load and use any ruleset anyone has ever created."

This reply was deleted by a mod/admin.
--
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
daavko

Post by daavko »

Hello yes, case 2 is me, though I was silenced for a different reason. I was silenced for 24 hours. Apparently, posting
Just in case anyone ever wants to be a high-level hacker, cheater, just scum of the Earth in general:

Code: Select all

(()=>send_request_secure(JSON.stringify({ /* your packet data here */ })))()
in a different server is "hacking or teaching others to hack". It was posted with no other instructions, so anyone who would know how to use it would be capable of finding out even without me posting it. Considering it doesn't even allow the player to do anything the client wouldn't be able to do already, I see the silencing as an overreaction.
daavko

Post by daavko »

Funnily enough, Lexxie has also disabled my ability to comment on things in the FCW GitHub repository. Not that I've ever posted a comment there anyway, just a single issue (screenshot contents intentionally blanked because they're irrelevant).
Attachments
XlyldCY50e.png
XlyldCY50e.png (25.95 KiB) Viewed 7587 times
daavko

Post by daavko »

Hello! It's me again, your friendly annoying neighborhood smartass!

It looks like the resident Queen has once again taken up the bottle and in her infallible wisdom timed me out again. For a week. This time for ...drumroll... mentioning that she doesn't have to renew the freecivweb.org SSL certificate manually since it's taken care of by an automated tool, and publicly admitting that I blocked her on Discord because I no longer wished to receive private messages from her. There may have been a snarky comment somewhere between those two as well, but that's largely irrelevant, isn't it? Snarky comments aren't against the rules, after all (pro tip: don't tell people they're "married to the cheater king" if you don't want them sarcastically repeating it back to you). Blocking an admin apparently is, though I can't find it anywhere. Strange. So strange.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

The fun never sleeps on Freeciv Web Discord :D

I just got muted for 7 days after complaining that the admin is spamming me with private messages and if I block her I'll get banned :)

Catch 22 meets Kafka :D

EDIT: I am no longer muted so the admin apparently changed its mind. There was no notification (including an official reason) neither when the muting happened nor when it ceased.
--
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

In FCW Discord it is apparently fobidden to mention the existence of other rulesets in an on-topic discussion.

Context:
bux

Today at 12:05
Okay, I plan a multiplayer "LAN" and sometime, players goes away for lunch (for example). If he/she is ok, I would like force turn done during its absence. Is it possible ?
Lexxie

Today at 12:14
LAN game can't do MP2 or even MP+ rules, only MP1. So, I seriously can't recommend it until upstream will work harder with us for some congruities in server.
My follow up: "LAN game can use many other rulesets in existence." was deleted.
--
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Corbeau wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:29 pmuntil upstream will work harder with us
So, they have finally merged the changes I provided specifically to them November 2021, and are ready to go forward from that?
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

cazfi wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:38 am
Corbeau wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:29 pmuntil upstream will work harder with us
So, they have finally merged the changes I provided specifically to them November 2021, and are ready to go forward from that?
For the record: Had that been billed SW development, all that planning how they could migrate forward and creating implementations for it, cost would have been somewhere between 10000€ - 20000€. Maybe not a huge amount of money, but still quite a waste to put in a trashcan. By now I assume all of it to be unusable (not applying to their current codebase any more), and I don't think I want to do it from scratch once again.
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Cazfi and Lexxie; I recommend cooperation with the only project with 3D focus: FCIV.NET

https://github.com/fciv-net/fciv-net