struggling with tileset mod for my ruleset

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
3plus4i
Veteran

struggling with tileset mod for my ruleset

Post by 3plus4i »

I needed to make a tileset to be able to add images for my ruleset. So I copied the hexemplio.tilespec to the same folder I have my ruleset's .spec file in (which does load), renamed it, changed name and description in the file and added the spec file for my graphics. I also added it as standard tileset to my ruleset. This way I expected to get a copy of the tileset, with my graphics added. But the game can't load it. It also doesn't appear in the tileset selection in the client options. What is it that I might be missing?
Attachments
SlowScience.tilespec.7z
(3.03 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
cazfi
Elite

Re: struggling with tileset mod for my ruleset

Post by cazfi »

3plus4i wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:13 pm I needed to make a tileset to be able to add images for my ruleset. So I copied the hexemplio.tilespec to the same folder I have my ruleset's .spec file in (which does load), renamed it, changed name and description in the file and added the spec file for my graphics. I also added it as standard tileset to my ruleset. This way I expected to get a copy of the tileset, with my graphics added. But the game can't load it. It also doesn't appear in the tileset selection in the client options. What is it that I might be missing?
I'm not sure I understood you correctly, but I guess you have the .tilespec in a subdirectory and not in the main data directory.

The other possibility is that you have some syntax error making it fail when the client first tries to load, before adding to list of tilesets. The easiest way forward with that is to select your tileset from the client command line (so there's an attempt to load it before anything else cluttering output) and to request high enough debug output, and maybe --warnings as an added bonus. If you have "mytiles.tilespec":

Code: Select all

> freeciv-gtk3.22 -t mytiles -d verbose --warnings
3plus4i
Veteran

Post by 3plus4i »

It's in ~/.freeciv/3.0/. I got it to load after removing the entry for my graphics spec, so that must have caused it. Oh, just solved it, it was just a typo. Goddammit. But there seem to be more errors in my spec file, I'll have to check it. I probably forgot to remove the subdir when I moved the file.

Edit: Nope, I already have removed the dirs. The file path in the spec is relative to the spec file, right? So if the image is in the same directory,

Code: Select all

"SlowScience.school", "school"
should be right? Because that entry throws the error now.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

3plus4i wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:17 pmThe file path in the spec is relative to the spec file, right?
It's relative to the main data dir (or dirs - any directory in FREECIV_DATA_PATH will do)

For adding buildings sprites, looking the default misc/buildings-large.spec for an example may help.
3plus4i
Veteran

Post by 3plus4i »

Ahhh, now I see. That solved it!

Doesn't even look half bad in my opinion. What confuses me is that Watchtowers is crossed out. Doesn't that only happen if a building became obsolete? I haven't researched Flight yet though. Or is it maybe because I used a bit of a hack for city vision, to reveal a larger area at the beginning of the game? Because of that, Watchtowers rather take away a vision penalty instead of giving a direct increase. But then I must still have messed up, because the effect isn't as intended. Hm...
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

3plus4i wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:43 pmWhat confuses me is that Watchtowers is crossed out. Doesn't that only happen if a building became obsolete?
No, obsolete building isn't buildable at all. Crossed over means that freeciv thinks that the building is redundant / would provide no benefit. In standard rulesets you usually see it with different power plant types, when you already have one of them built.
3plus4i
Veteran

Post by 3plus4i »

Yeah, Freeciv was actually right, they did not have any effect at that point. I was trying to mess around with increasing and decreasing effects to get a specific result, but bungled it.
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

3plus4i wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:43 pm Ahhh, now I see. That solved it!

Doesn't even look half bad in my opinion. What confuses me is that Watchtowers is crossed out. Doesn't that only happen if a building became obsolete? I haven't researched Flight yet though. Or is it maybe because I used a bit of a hack for city vision, to reveal a larger area at the beginning of the game? Because of that, Watchtowers rather take away a vision penalty instead of giving a direct increase. But then I must still have messed up, because the effect isn't as intended. Hm...
Ngunjaca made this watchtower and a "tax collector office" that could work as a school if you are interested. I also added another building that I made a for the aviation ruleset called "flying school". Could work as a school as well.
Attachments
flying school.png
flying school.png (3.67 KiB) Viewed 5625 times
Tax_Collector_Office.png
Tax_Collector_Office.png (6.92 KiB) Viewed 5625 times
WatchtowerFinal.png
WatchtowerFinal.png (4.02 KiB) Viewed 5625 times
3plus4i
Veteran

Post by 3plus4i »

Thanks for the suggestion! I actually discovered those images just a couple days ago, when browsing through the images on the Wiki. The flying school looks pretty nice. The office looks more like a mansion, but maybe it could stand in as another building, I'm still missing quite a few, where I barely have an idea how I could represent them.
Elefant
Hardened

Post by Elefant »

Do you have a list of the graphics you need?
Civ 3 tileset: viewtopic.php?t=92953
3d Irrlicht desktop client development: viewtopic.php?t=92289&start=20