Mutually Assured Destruction

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
cazfi
Elite

Re: Mutually Assured Destruction

Post by cazfi »

Ignatus wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:41 pm [2. Possibly not suitable for this specific purpose, but I have suggested somewhere (maybe even in a ticket, can't remember) ways of national upkeep for unhomed units (CivIII always works like this).
I guess you mean https://www.hostedredmine.com/issues/819758 which I already mentioned. Did some work towards it just a week ago.
soundnfury

Post by soundnfury »

Ignatus wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:41 pm 3. As a more realistic MAD, maybe players just put rockets on bases and the strikes are all scripted?
I've been experimenting with something a bit like this in Aviation, where if
  • a city gets nuked
  • the city contains the building 'QRA Hut'
  • the city contains least one bomber with a nuclear bomb unit loaded
then the bomber leaves the city and flies off to nuke a randomly-selected enemy city. Unfortunately the version I'm targeting (freeciv21) doesn't currently have all the Lua bindings I need; but at least in principle the concept is viable.

A more sophisticated version would maybe have something like 'targeting plans' where you can specify ahead of time "if any of my cities gets nuked by France then these 3 units should nuke Paris, Marseille and Toulouse but all my other forces should stay on the ground in case I need them for Moscow later", but that might be difficult to make a UI for.

Alternatively I quite like the "become unhomed" idea; it works quite nicely with in-flight refuelling to allow SAC-style continuous airborne alert.
Creator of the Aviation ruleset. Try it out today!
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Right. Somehow I missed this.
samdef wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:28 am
Corbeau wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:39 pm Make nuclear submarines and nuclear missiles unhomed.
Wouldn't that make submarines and nuclear units free of maintenance costs? That would encourage excessive building of submarines and nuclear units since they won't use up any city production points and/or gold.
Two possible solutions:
1. Make them much more expensive to build, which is very realistic (how much can the upkeep cost? Two coins per turn? If they are going to exist for 20 turns, an added cost of 20 shields is equivalent to this.)
2. Patch the game so that unhomed units are still paid from the national treasury
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Corbeau wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:41 amunhomed units are still paid from the national treasury
Support for this has gone to development version since my last update to this thread.