Unit Improvements

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
Elefant
Hardened

Re: Unit Improvements

Post by Elefant »

Also, is there a way to subtract hit points and movement from a unit in Lua? A way to check the diplomatic state between two nations would also be helpful.
Civ 3 tileset: viewtopic.php?t=92953
3d Irrlicht desktop client development: viewtopic.php?t=92289&start=20
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Elefant wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:41 pm Also, is there a way to subtract hit points and movement from a unit in Lua? A way to check the diplomatic state between two nations would also be helpful.
Not 100% sure, but from the top of my head I don't think there is. Be sure to file request tickets about such lua API improvements that you would really need: https://osdn.net/ticket/newticket.php?group_id=12505
Elefant
Hardened

Post by Elefant »

Elefant
Hardened

Post by Elefant »

Should a ticket requesting that the bombard_max_range be moved to the units, instead of being game-wide be for 3.1 or 3.2?
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Elefant wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:01 pm Should a ticket requesting that the bombard_max_range be moved to the units, instead of being game-wide be for 3.1 or 3.2?
S3_1 ruleset format is in semi-freeze already (meaning that no more changes are expected, but they are still possible to fix critical issues)
Elefant
Hardened

Post by Elefant »

Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Elefant wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:23 pm In Realism Invictus, if the number of units in a stack got too large, a logistics penalty was put in place. Maybe something like this would help counter death stack tactics?
Yep.
A new and very important change is a soft STACK LIMIT! This means that, after a certain limit, more military units on the same tile receive a defence penalty. Namely: for every unit above the Limit, all units receive -25% defence penalty. This means that with too many units on the same tile, their defence value may reach zero!

Default Limit is set to 3, except if they are on a Mountain tile, in which case the limit is 2.

Additionally, if units are in a city, Limit is increased by 1 for each 5 city sizes (new Max at 1, 5, 10, 15 and 20).

For your convenience, the limits are placed in a table.

NOTE: Depending on a ruleset and/or a particular game, it may not be possible to build a city on a mountain.

Also, because this is a new and revolutionary feature, it may go through some tweaks so always check this space.
https://freeciv.fandom.com/wiki/Simulat ... tack_limit
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
Ignatus
Elite

Post by Ignatus »

Elefant wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:41 pm Also, is there a way to subtract hit points and movement from a unit in Lua? A way to check the diplomatic state between two nations would also be helpful.
If you need it now, unit:move() is able to subtract move points, then you can teleport the unit back. Hit points don't have a kludge as handy, but in 3.1 you can create an enemy diplomat and make it sabotage the unit (maybe you'll need to teleport some units from a nearby tile to spare it and then back).
Elefant
Hardened

Post by Elefant »

I would think that adding or subtracting movement and hit points is an important function that should have a direct implementation, but in the meantime, your solution is a good idea.
vego
Veteran

Post by vego »

I started read your work on fandom site about stack and many more. Its sounds fine. From my experience with strategy games play able are strategies with balance between economy and military. Economy side in freeciv is Great. That is interesting cuz have fun from developing Eco tips. Cities growing gentle. And from this moment when i m starting thinking about military is big bada boom! My city has been conquered in 4th turn. But how?! ... I read and read... moves on rivers was changed but like this?! So ok i play further and see enemy unit on river, so it's easy target but what!? It s unconcuerable?! Defense bonus on river? :/ So its create big stacks on map. I need make 3 units to kill one.