Renewing Ubuntu repository

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Mahler

Renewing Ubuntu repository

Post by Mahler »

Do you plan to place new Freeciv version in the Ubuntu repository? Presently, there is 2.6.2 version.
Ignatus
Elite

Re: Renewing Ubuntu repository

Post by Ignatus »

Impish already has 2.6.3... New edition final freeze is April 14 and currently it includes 2.6.6, I don't think it will be updated to 3.0. Actually, IDK how Freeciv new versions get to repos,
Cazfi wrote:ping?
Mahler

Post by Mahler »

In Ubuntu 20.04 repository, there is Freeciv version 2.6.2. I don't think I'll update Ubuntu to 22.04 on April 21. The 20.04 version is supported till April of 2025. So I play Freeciv 2.6.2 so far.

I have looked in the web, to update a program in the Ubuntu repository one needs to open a ticket on
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mountmanager
Use report a bug link.
Ignatus
Elite

Post by Ignatus »

They don't push non-security updates to released distros. I think you need just to download Freeciv sources from Github and compile them. You don't have to install them if you can live without i18n. It's not that difficult, I have several versions on my computer this way.
Mahler

Post by Mahler »

Compiling and Uploading the .deb file is the simpler way. I have downloaded the sources and the compilation is a problem for me.
Ignatus
Elite

Post by Ignatus »

Mahler wrote:I have downloaded the sources and the compilation is a problem for me.
Follow the guide. You'll need to "sudo apt-get install" some *-dev packages that the compiler will tell you it can't work without at its first run of "sudo make".
Mahler

Post by Mahler »

I used installation script, It had compiled freeciv after installation of -dev libraries.
Mahler

Post by Mahler »

I found nice that Xubuntu 23.04 contains Freeciv 3.0.6 in the repository.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Ubuntu derives its .deb packaging of freeciv from Debian, so Debian's freeciv package page is usually very relevant for the next Ubuntu release: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/freeciv