Ships

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
jpsm
Veteran

Ships

Post by jpsm »

After research Industrialization I had the sad surprise to discover that industrialized ships such as Transport(!) and Ironclad don't load units. Frigates (the unit that I've using to travel through the sea) became obsolete and if I upgrade a frigate it became an useless Ironclad that can't carry people through the sea and the Transport despite the name I always unable to load units into it...
It makes the game sadly boring because it stuck the player in his native land. I don't want to build a lot of cities too close to one another like that ais to make a smarter use of the land so if I can't carry units through the sea using ships it stuck me with a fixed number of cities...
Industrialization was supposed to be a good thing and in real ship ships steal carry people through the sea after Industrialization.
Please fix this annoying bug to make us able to load units in ships in all advanced ships (all ships that exist in real life actually carry people so this is unrealistic too).

Version 2.6.2 gui-gkt-3.22 client on Debian Testing
louis94
Hardened

Re: Ships

Post by louis94 »

Transports can load up to 8 units, but not planes, helicopters and other ships... Never seen a bug where it doesn't work.
Ignatus
Elite

Post by Ignatus »

Very strange bug. What a ruleset are you playing? (The ruleset can be looked up in the ingame help section "About this ruleset"). In all the standard rulesets (as well as all I have ever seen) Transport transports and Frigate does not. (Or you play some translated version?)
nef
Elite

Post by nef »

There IS a bug in loading units onto transporters of any kind. This is that if in a city you unload units and then try to reload other units the space relinquished is (often???) not noticed and the reload is therefore denied. There are various ways to deal with the problem. is it possible that this just happens to be the situation for the transport units?
Ignatus
Elite

Post by Ignatus »

nef wrote:This is that if in a city you unload units and then try to reload other units the space relinquished is (often???) not noticed and the reload is therefore denied. There are various ways to deal with the problem.
Ow, I can't recall it! Does it happen on Gtk clients?
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

I don't think anybody has ever reported such a bug... At least I've never heard about it, and it's not long time since I went through all the tickets.
nef
Elite

Post by nef »

I have seen it a number of times but I notice that it does not happen in the usual case. So I can't be more specific just now. If I see it again I will try to characterize it in more detail. In the meantime I will try some experiments.

I have only used GTK.