Issues with starting client from desktop

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
I Just Write

Issues with starting client from desktop

Post by I Just Write »

So, I'm having a somewhat bizarre issue with the game. Namely that while I can run the game from the setup wizard just fine (and it even preserves my savegames), whenever I try to start the game using the installed app (either by shortcuts or manually navigating to program files), I get the following error and the game refuses to start:

While I certainly could just reinstall the game each time I wanted to play, that strikes me as a very annoying work around. Does anyone have a clue what might be going wrong so I could fix it?

EDIT: To be clear, I don't think the other clients have this issue, but QT is the only one with a user interface I can tolerate, so...
cazfi
Elite

Re: Issues with starting client from desktop

Post by cazfi »

Which version? Where you got your installer?

This seems a bit like freeciv-qt.exe was run directly instead of wrapper script freeciv-qt.cmd that sets some necessary environment variables. I can see how you could make that mistake when navigating to program files, but I have no idea how the shortcuts could get broken that way.
I Just Write

Re: Issues with starting client from desktop

Post by I Just Write »

Tried navigating to freeciv-qt.cmd, it worked. Thanks for the help cazfi.

And to answer your question the installer didn't make a shortcut so I tried making one manually. As you can guess, I wound up connecting it to the wrong thing (namely the .exe).