[2.6] Augmented ruleset modpack

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
Ignatus
Veteran

Re: [2.6] Augmented ruleset modpack

Postby Ignatus » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:33 pm

In the command line where you start the client (look at the label you launch the program with), with fcgui script the option also works. I have not started Freeciv on Windows but it should work quite similar there.

VeryVeryLongUsername

Postby VeryVeryLongUsername » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:36 pm

Ignatus wrote:In the command line where you start the client (look at the label you launch the program with), with fcgui script the option also works. I have not started Freeciv on Windows but it should work quite similar there.

It functioned. Thanks a lot!

Also, I'd like to report the Eiffel Tower does not increases city radius contrary to what the readme of the ruleset says.

Wahazar
Hardened

Postby Wahazar » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:22 pm

VeryVeryLongUsername wrote:Also, I'd like to report the Eiffel Tower does not increases city radius contrary to what the readme of the ruleset says.

You need also have Railway Station in city and Electricity tech for such effect (I see now that seems I forgot to fix help text, thank you).
README.augmented.txt is also outdated, I decreased number of city radius effects to keep city window small (it is still to big without resolution trick or overhead tileset).
Currently, beside of City Hall, it is either Airport + Mass Transit + Combustion or before mentioned Eiffel+Railway Station+Electricity (exclusively).

Wahazar
Hardened

Postby Wahazar » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:34 am

Version 2.6.5 released.
Some minor fixes, including before-mentioned city radius/vision (it is simplified now),
and important change to Celebration function: it does Rapture Growth in case of First Republic or Direct Democracy,
in contrary to Tile Trade Bonus for city celebrating under Monarchy, Republic and Democracy.
However Rapture Growth effect is ceased by Monotheism (which is root req. for Christianity and Islam).

Aino

Postby Aino » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:24 pm

Wahazar, thanks for offering this. Just started trying it out. At first sight I really like the extra possibilities and the coherence of the tech tree, and 'realistic' touches like the early tribal phase, no irrigation without fresh water (without advanced tech) etc. Very cool.

Can't comment yet on the overall game, but here some early-game quibbles:

- when attacking a town with a ballista from a galley, the defending phalanx prevailed, and destroyed my ballista. This seems wrong: I was expecting that the ship-mounted ballista would be safe from counterattack except if the other player also used similar long-range units (or destroyed the ship, of course).
- The 'Amphitheatre' should probably be called 'Theatre', since it becomes available with Drama, and to match the graphic.

nitpicking:
- The 'Colosseum' should maybe be called by the generic term 'Amphitheatre'. (The 'Colosseum' is a specific amphitheatre in Rome. Even if in this ruleset it's a small wonder and hence there is only one per player, each player can have a 'Colosseum' which is sort of historically inaccurate/silly. Then again, if it is renamed 'amphitheatre', why have only one per player?)
- Similarly, perhaps the 'Viking' should be called something else? It's a bit bizarre to have e.g. Korean Vikings. Then again, the same can be said for 'Phalanx' and so on...
- What is the reasoning behind only allowing one Viking per player?

Wahazar
Hardened

Postby Wahazar » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:23 pm

Thanks for testing!
Aino wrote:- when attacking a town with a ballista from a galley, the defending phalanx prevailed, and destroyed my ballista.

It is normal freeciv combat behavior. Of course it may be unrealistic for some sort of units, but you can imagine, that phalanx survived so many ballista shoots, that this device was broken or run out of ammo.
By the way, ballista and its successors are designed mainly for ship2ship combat, they are weak against cities, and it is intentional feature.
Original ships were unable to attack cities, later ships attack cities by themselves, here you can run away ship after failed attack - weak turrets is a trade-off.[/quote]

Aino wrote:- The 'Amphitheatre' should probably be called 'Theatre', since it becomes available with Drama, and to match the graphic.

It is kind of ancient Theater. There is another, better Theatre building available together with Shakespeare (Globe) Theatre wonder.
BTW, any better idea of "Modern Theatre" name for such advance?
Colosseum was not only in Rome, I've seen similar in Syria, also made by Romans.
It must be Small wonder, because it multiply luxuries (Amphitheatre/Theatre work differently, add them).
Note, that Bank and Stock Market increase only tax, I decided to split luxuries and tax apart (but Marketplace increase overall Trade, to balance that).
[/quote]

Aino wrote:- What is the reasoning behind only allowing one Viking per player?

Special units, which can be overpowered compared to other available, are unique.
For example Longboat (this is viking's ship, thus I picked Viking) can go on open ocean, before Cog is available.
Viking or Corsair can attack from aboard (other ships or units on land), thus is only one, before Marines era.
List of all units is in /doc/units.xls spreadsheet, column P (comments) describe, which one is Unique or have other special flags.

Phalanx etc are units based on original civ series.
Of course, because I added some optional tech branches, mainly Asian, feel free to suggest some special units,
graphics are also welcome. My knowledge about this region is very sparse.