[2.6] Augmented ruleset modpack

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
Wahazar
Hardened

[2.6] Augmented ruleset modpack

Postby Wahazar » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:01 pm

I have a gift for you all, who want a challenging ruleset for long winter evenings: augmented ruleset together with additional graphics.

This work is a continuations of advanced ruleset modpack and neolithic ruleset, these projects were combined together, rewritten to version 2.6 and extended with new techs, wonders, building and units.

I will describe it briefly here, more details after Christmas.

• New techs, including some facultative tech branches - not required for mainstream technology tree, but offering some better units or optional wonders.
  • Completely refurbished system of distinctive tiers of military unit classes.
  • Unit HP is related to its armor/persistence, FP depend on weapon era (1 - melee, 2 - gunpowder, 3 - machine gun/explosives, 4 - rocketry/big guns).
  • Terrain movement is more challenging, mountains w/o roads accessible only for workers or special units, rivers are not a roads for regular units.
  • New buildings and wonders, adopted to the new technology tree.
  • Three faith systems, you need to choose wisely, because most of religion-related improvements/wonders can't coexists in same city/state.
  • New governments (First Republic, Direct Democracy, Thalassocracy, Fascism) and altered governments properties, smooth changes.

You start with few Tribe units - they are universal, can act like workers (at the beginning only roads, some advances are required to irrigate/mine),
they can fight with other units (but not conquer towns), build a town or be added to the town.

You need Tribe Hut in the town to make new Tribe units - they cost only one population (settlers two), thus are convenient to fast growth, but once you learn Agricultural Farming, Tribes are no longer available (but you can make City Hall, which may increase city radius).

Initial government is Tribalism - corruption is relatively high but flat, tax changes are limited and there is no martial law, science and gold output decreased.
You need to build Palace by yourself, to change gov. to Despotism
(but it is not a bad news - at least you can decide where your Capital is, when you already claimed some land).

Whole ruleset is optimized for hex topology and its graphics are compatible with hexemplio tileset.
It is strongly recommended to use augmented2 tileset, otherwise you will see only alternative graphics, if any.
Go for 'local options' and choose 'augmented2' from the list for iso hex topology.

Whole modpack was done under GPL licence and is hosted by GitHub:
https://github.com/Wahazar/augmented2

louis94
Hardened

Re: [2.6] Augmented ruleset modpack

Postby louis94 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:58 pm

I tried it against the AI and research was quite slow. Even though I was playing like crap, I could take over one of the AIs with horses. Other AIs didn't seem to develop anything beyond phalanxes (except barbarians who had galleons and legions).

The variety of new units is nice. I still need some time to get accustomed to them…
The fact that cities conquered from the AI would riot until getting down to size 1 was kind of a challenge (under Tribal). One needs to have settlers ready to add some new citizens to the mix, making it less willing to revolt.

If you want to reach higher tech levels in a reasonable time, I recommend speeding up research a lot (like, make it twice as fast).

I opened a PR on Github to make it possible to install augmented2 using the modpack installer.

Wahazar
Hardened

Postby Wahazar » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:30 pm

Thanks for testing. Generally AI is weak in case of every heavily changed ruleset. There are some AI bugs and flaws, for example in Despotism you can set 90% tax, and AI is doing that instead of go for science.
I recommend to set about 10 AI players with different skill level, and increase tiles per player to allow them develop before they clash each other.
Probably it is also good idea to increase sci output for AI, even for these with on not cheating level.

louis94 wrote:The fact that cities conquered from the AI would riot until getting down to size 1 was kind of a challenge (under Tribal)

Indeed, initial Tribalism allow to fast spread of own cities (Tribe cost only 1 population points whereas Settlers costs 2 points), Tribe Huts cancel tile penalty, and Horsemen or Mounted Archery are excellent units for fast conquer of nearby opponents - but without martial law, huge tribal empire would collapse soon (as was read in history books :-)
Thus Palace and Despotism is needed, and Despotism require Agricultural Farming, which cancel benefits of Tribe units and Tribe Huts.
[/quote]

louis94 wrote:I opened a PR on Github to make it possible to install augmented2 using the modpack installer.

Thank you, but would you explain me more? I'm not sure what is "raw" version of URL and where is this modpack installer...

EDIT: version 2.6.2 available, minor changes described in chagnelog.txt

VeryVeryLongUsername

Postby VeryVeryLongUsername » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:22 pm

I got technical problems in GTK client. When I open the City screen, it is extremely long vertically, enough to make the city instructions unvisible. Is there a solution to this?

Also the Qt-client gives me, sometimes, "Did not find a cm solution in 25000 iterations for (AI's Capital?)." No idea if it is the mod's fault, but any solution for this?

Ignatus
Veteran

Postby Ignatus » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:14 am

VeryVeryLongUsername wrote:When I open the City screen, it is extremely long vertically, enough to make the city instructions unvisible. Is there a solution to this?

Start with lowered resolution: see HRM#722184.

About solutions not found by CMA, it appears on likely any rulesets allowing more or less big cities.

Wahazar
Hardened

Postby Wahazar » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:29 pm

VeryVeryLongUsername wrote:I got technical problems in GTK client. When I open the City screen, it is extremely long vertically, enough to make the city instructions unvisible.

I agree, it is annoying bug, I was using multiple screen to access city controls, but it was tedious.
Therefore I prepared alternative tileset for small overhead trident-like graphics.

Version 2.6.4 contain two tileset: augmentedi for isometric amplio-like view, and augmentedo, for overhead trident-like view.
You need to change "topology" (add or remove ISO in game.ruleset or change settings before game launch) and later you can choose appropriate tileset from local client options.

If talking about modpack installer, I need have this project polished: at least tested in singleplayer mode from Stone Knapping beyond Great Unification Theory :)

I'm also thinking about making two cavalry family: Heavy Cavalry (Horsemen, Elephants, Knight, Crusaders, Cuirassiers, Mounted Infantry, Mech. Inf.), with better armor/defense, but limited mobility (besides of mountains and glaciers, also no swamps), and Light Cavalry (Mounted Archers, Dragoons, Lancers, ... no idea about replacement - Bicycle Troops? ATV?), weak in defense but can attack non-native tiles and where regular Land units can go.

Currently there are following Land unit classes:
Small Land - can go on any land tile, can't occupy cities, usually weak attack, bombard attack or no attack ability (beside of Alpine Troops)
Land - regular units, can't go on mountains/glacier (some of them can attack it)
Big Land - as above, no swamps (I should put jungles here, but Elephants are now in this class).
Wheeled Unit - only roads.
Turrets - only city, fortress, but can be mounted on ship/train.

Lachu
Elite

Postby Lachu » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:12 pm

About heavy chivalry, I have idea to make a trap for it (like mine). Light chivalry are trap untouchable. In future there could exist heave mine and light mine. Of course, mine making terrain unworkable.

VeryVeryLongUsername

Postby VeryVeryLongUsername » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:51 am

Ignatus wrote:
VeryVeryLongUsername wrote:When I open the City screen, it is extremely long vertically, enough to make the city instructions unvisible. Is there a solution to this?

Start with lowered resolution: see HRM#722184.

About solutions not found by CMA, it appears on likely any rulesets allowing more or less big cities.

How do I force/change a resolution? I change the client values and apply them, but it makes no change.

Lachu wrote:About heavy chivalry, I have idea to make a trap for it (like mine). Light chivalry are trap untouchable. In future there could exist heave mine and light mine. Of course, mine making terrain unworkable.

If you do end up doing this, you should make terrain improvements (or at least roads) still visible to actually make the mine hidden. Probably contradicts reality, but I prefer gameplay before historical accuracy.

Ignatus
Veteran

Postby Ignatus » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:02 pm

VeryVeryLongUsername wrote:How do I force/change a resolution? I change the client values and apply them, but it makes no change.

E.g.:

Code: Select all

freeciv-gtk3 [other-arguments] -- --resolution 1366x499

VeryVeryLongUsername

Postby VeryVeryLongUsername » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:21 pm

Ignatus wrote:
VeryVeryLongUsername wrote:How do I force/change a resolution? I change the client values and apply them, but it makes no change.

E.g.:

Code: Select all

freeciv-gtk3 [other-arguments] -- --resolution 1366x499

Where do I write this?