2.6 gtk3 Fonts issues: Resets to default size

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
Hans Lemurson

2.6 gtk3 Fonts issues: Resets to default size

Postby Hans Lemurson » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:09 am

Whenever I load a new texture pack or restart the FreeCiv client, the font-sizes for the City-Bar keep resetting to size 10. I was trying to shrink the font to make the city bar smaller and less obtrusive, but every time I start the game I'm faced with big full-sized letters.

Any notion why the gtk client might be resetting to default values?

JTN
Elite

Re: 2.6 gtk3 Fonts issues: Resets to default size

Postby JTN » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:24 am

I've reproduced your observation with 2.6, and I think I understand what is going on, if not why.

When I change the city name and production font sizes in the options UI, I see my settings being saved to and loaded from the options file fine, and my size shows up in the UI after a reload, but is ignored.

What I see happening is that each tileset also has an opinion on the sizes of these fonts. e.g. in amplio2.tilespec:

Code: Select all

; Font size (points) to use to draw city names and productions:
city_names_font_size = 10
city_productions_font_size = 8

It is these which take effect on entering a new game (when the tileset is loaded), overriding your setting. When you change the setting, that temporarily overrides the tileset (loading a new tileset resets this).

This seems a bit incoherent -- why have we apparently deliberately provided two sets of configurability which fight with each other? I haven't dug into the history to see if there's some deeper logic. I suppose it might be a longstanding issue that the changes to tileset selection in 2.6 have made more obvious (I haven't played with 2.5).

JTN
Elite

Re: 2.6 gtk3 Fonts issues: Resets to default size

Postby JTN » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:33 am