civ1 behavior

Can you help improve your favourite game? Hardcore C mages, talented artists, and players with any level of experience are welcome!
cazfi
Elite

Re: civ1 behavior

Postby cazfi » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:11 pm

Corbeau wrote:As far as I know, holes are allowed in all rulesets UNLESS there is root_req specified for each technology in the tech.ruleset.

In 2.5 and earlier, yes, but in 2.6 and up it's configurable in game.ruleset. What I want to know is what would be the civ2 compatible configuration.

The fact that freeciv has had "holes allowed" as a hardcoded behavior would suggest that it has been the civ2 compatible setup. Hmm.

meynaf
Veteran

Postby meynaf » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:45 pm

Yeah but in my memory they weren't allowed in the original games (pretty sure for civ1, unverified for civ2).
I admit that i have no idea for civ3, civ4, civ5, civ6 :mrgreen:

cazfi
Elite

Postby cazfi » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:17 am

meynaf wrote:- Offers choosing research at start (when 1st research unit is obtained) and after each advance. Viable option, as these things are easily forgotten.

Something that might help "after each advance" part: Game -> Options -> Local Client -> Interface -> Popup tech help when gained -> Enabled

meynaf
Veteran

Postby meynaf » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:25 am

cazfi wrote:Something that might help "after each advance" part: Game -> Options -> Local Client -> Interface -> Popup tech help when gained -> Enabled

It doesn't help much. Should popup the research (F6) instead.
For a simple recall, i've found that the popup message is enough.
And neither will help against forgetting to setup the very first tech...

GriffonSpade
Elite

Postby GriffonSpade » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:56 am

cazfi wrote:Something that might help "after each advance" part: Game -> Options -> Local Client -> Interface -> Popup tech help when gained -> Enabled

It's probably notable that QT doesn't have that option.
In: Game -> Options -> Messages -> Technology: Acquired New Tech and Technology: Learned New Tech
You can set it to give popups when you learn or acquire new technology, though. Don't know whether it's checked by default. (And the research button flashes)
meynaf wrote:It doesn't help much. Should popup the research (F6) instead.
For a simple recall, i've found that the popup message is enough.
And neither will help against forgetting to setup the very first tech...

Having a confirmation box popup telling the player to go look at technology on the first turn would be a good idea too. I usually don't pay attention and get a random tech. :P

meynaf
Veteran

Postby meynaf » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:40 pm

Another difference.

When you unleash barbarians from a hut ; sometimes freeciv does not create barbs but just kills the unit. This is hardcoded in the unleash_barbarians function.
But it NEVER occurs in civ1.

meynaf
Veteran

Postby meynaf » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:39 pm

One more.

When a city is taken/destroyed in civ1, units depending on that city are removed.
In freeciv they are just given another home.

Again, the ruleset does not appear to be able to change this.