Useful Demographics

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
Hans Lemurson
Veteran

Useful Demographics

Post by Hans Lemurson »

Currently the Demographics report displays the following:
Population: Citizens in larger cities count as more population than those in smaller cities. How are you supposed to get any useful information out of that? Was that 15 citizens in three Size-5 cities, or 9 citizens in one Size-9 city? Both have the same "Population", but one clearly has more dudes.
Land Area: Total land contained within your borders. Is it being worked? Is it even within range of a city? Who knows? But I guess you peed on it first...
Settled Area: Total number of land-tiles worked by citizens. Now we're onto something! Plus...workers that are actively improving terrain? That's a little odd, but I guess I can see how that fits with the theme. Oh, but it ignores sea tiles. And we were so close to a useful "Actually count the population" stat...
Research Speed: Ok, this is useful. Total research output. I like it.
Literacy: I guess this tells you how much you've invested in enhancing your research output, but is that really important compared to the actual number that was just given?
Production: Total amount of production generated by your nation. USEFUL. A very good indicator of the power of a nation.
Economics: Total Trade generated. Also useful, but can be a bit misleading, since it won't take into account the effect of gold-multiplier buildings. A "Gold Income" rating in addition to the "Research Speed" would be a nice stat to have. But knowing the total base Trade is useful too.
Military Service: Number of Units / Population. Population is as stupid statistic. Just list the total number of military units. Don't hide the info.
Pollution: Somewhat useful. Tells you the stat with no funny-business, but it's not the most important one to know.

Most of these stats are strange and not useful. I understand that this is the way it is for legacy compatibility with older versions of Civ...but it's just not useful!

Is there any way to get useful Demographic Reports?
Wishes he could convert Civ2's scenarios to FreeCiv...
But instead, he made his own tileset variants, RoundSquare and Sextant-enHANSed, and refuses to play on anything else. Check them out!
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: Useful Demographics

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Actually, I believe these are all demographics that affect a player's score, so if you're somewhere where score matters, these are actually useful.
~ AVL
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Most of those demographics don't affect score, at least directly. Google "Math of Freeciv". From memory, I'd say that the only thing that goes into the score are population points, killed units, existing units and techs. Not money, territory, production, trade nor (unfortunatelly) pollution.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
Hans Lemurson
Veteran

Post by Hans Lemurson »

Is there any way to alter or mod the demographics-report to give more useful stats?
But instead, he made his own tileset variants, RoundSquare and Sextant-enHANSed, and refuses to play on anything else. Check them out!
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

What would be "more useful stats"?

And there is always a way, only needs someone with enough knowledge and will to do it :) I'd be willing to do it, but since it's in the coding department, I'm out :)
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
Hans Lemurson
Veteran

Post by Hans Lemurson »

Useful stats:
-Number of Cities
-Total number of Citizens
-Total Food Surplus
-Total Production (already in place)
-Total Trade (already in place)
-Gold Income
-Science Income (already in place)
-Number of Units
-Number of City Buildings