No servers shown in the “metaserver” tab

Join us, meet players from all around the world, challenge the strongest top players, practice and be one of them!
marioxcc_

No servers shown in the “metaserver” tab

Post by marioxcc_ »

Hello. I am using Freeciv 2.6.0. Using either the GTK 2 or GTK 3 client, in the “online metaserver” tab, I see no servers listed. In my browser, if I go to http://meta.cazfi.net/metaserver.phtml I see several servers. How can I fix my client to see the active servers?
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: No servers shown in the “metaserver” tab

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

All of those servers are on 2.5 or earlier, so since they're not compatible with your 2.6 client, they aren't displayed (would be my guess).
~ AVL
marioxcc_

Post by marioxcc_ »

Caedo wrote:All of those servers are on 2.5 or earlier, so since they're not compatible with your 2.6 client, they aren't displayed (would be my guess).
Thanks for your reply. Is this the intended behavior (older servers are hidden)? How can I find people to play in real time (i.e.: no mail-type games).
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

You could revert to Freeciv 2.5. At this point, I don't know of any communities where most people play on 2.6, since it's brand new. LongTurn.org still plays on 2.5, and it's a great community, so maybe downgrading is worth it.
I mean, maybe you're lucky and someone replies to this very thread wanting to play on 2.6. Who knows?
~ AVL
marioxcc_

Post by marioxcc_ »

I like to play games that end with a single playing season. If I have to wait one day for my next turn, I will lose interest. Why haven’t the servers updated to 2.6.0?
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Because they're being run by people not affiliated with the Freeciv Project itself (people like you) and they haven't updated yet. Probably because 2.6 is still pretty new and people are afraid of bugs still hiding inside of it.
~ AVL
marioxcc_

Post by marioxcc_ »

Ok.
Rhue

Post by Rhue »

I think everyone should update to 2.6 at this point. I'm afraid Ubuntu might be responsible, as it's the most popular linux distro group (I guess, including some of those based on it), but only the Cosmic Cuttlefish has 2.6 as a pre-compiled package. I'm using Manjaro at the moment and indeed, I can't access 2.5 servers. It's not like Freeciv suffers from an overabundance of players, this isn't helping... I hope the package maintainers update it soon.