Custom expanded ruleset loads wrong, incompatible tileset and crashes

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
vodot
Veteran

Custom expanded ruleset loads wrong, incompatible tileset and crashes

Post by vodot »

(also posted in tech support, this can be deleted)
Hi all, I'm running the gtk3 client on ubuntu 16.04 (in a chroot, on a chromebook!) with a configure+make+run-in-place type of implementation (no make install). I'm trying to get my modded ruleset with extra units (and accompanying tileset) to run.

Here's what's happening:
- I run fcgui from the terminal
- I open client options and pick my compatible custom tileset (called "resplendent"), no errors
- I start a new game, then pick my custom ruleset (also called "resplendent") in the options
- I get an error saying that sprites for an extra unit cannot be found
- freeciv crashes

I verified that all the tags are correct. Using a default tag for the extra unit works. Then I noticed in the terminal output that freeciv is loading tileset "amplio2", then "resplendent"... and then inexplicably loading tileset "amplio2" again when I select my ruleset. Amplio2, of course, doesn't have my additional unit sprites, and I think that's what's throwing my error.

Is there a "default tileset" feature in rulesets that I'm missing? Why is it unloading my tileset and trying amplio2?
Last edited by vodot on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vodot
Veteran

Re: Custom expanded ruleset loads wrong, incompatible tileset and crashes

Post by vodot »

I should note that my tileset works fine when I use a different ruleset; it's when I try to load my ruleset that it switches back to amplio2 and crashes.
Hans Lemurson
Veteran

Post by Hans Lemurson »

FreeCiv certainly loves to crash at the tiniest mis-configuration of tilesets...

As for Default Tilesets, I know that the "freeciv-client-rc-2.6" file in the .freeciv folder is where the GTK defaults are stored, and I had to manually edit my default tileset there once. I'm not sure what the file structure would be in Ubuntu though.
Hopefully if you can edit this and get it to load Resplendent first then it will stop crashing. Be aware that it seems to hold the default values for many different versions of gtk all at once.
Wishes he could convert Civ2's scenarios to FreeCiv...
But instead, he made his own tileset variants, RoundSquare and Sextant-enHANSed, and refuses to play on anything else. Check them out!
vodot
Veteran

Post by vodot »

Hans Lemurson wrote:FreeCiv certainly loves to crash at the tiniest mis-configuration of tilesets...

As for Default Tilesets, I know that the "freeciv-client-rc-2.6" file in the .freeciv folder is where the GTK defaults are stored, and I had to manually edit my default tileset there once. I'm not sure what the file structure would be in Ubuntu though.
Hopefully if you can edit this and get it to load Resplendent first then it will stop crashing. Be aware that it seems to hold the default values for many different versions of gtk all at once.
Hi Hans, thanks- I posted my workaround solution in the Tech Support thread I started for this issue. What I can do is start the server ahead of time and use command line functions to preload the right topology and ruleset. Then I just join the local server from the gui client separately. Works.

I'm not sure if setting the default tileset would help. In my case, it would work fine (because my tileset is purposefully backwards compatible with vanilla rulesets). This would probably not be the case for most mods or any full conversions. Either way, it's the server's behavior that is the true problem- there's no function to prompt or look for the appropriate tileset when it changes rulesets. I'll add an item to the wishlist.