[meta] Tileset clearing house

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
Wahazar
Elite

Re: [meta] Tileset clearing house

Post by Wahazar »

JTN, thanks for clarification.
If I understand correctly (judging from existing pictures), there is no need of special palettes? RGB + alpha channel is OK?
Augmented2 ruleset/modpack for freeciv2.6: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91047
vodot
Veteran

Post by vodot »

JTN wrote:vodot: Thanks for chasing this, sounds promising! Remember the licence they grant will have to be compatible with the GPL (2+).
Hey, sure. I owe those people a personal thanks anyways, after years of enjoying their work. I'm reading through the GPL lingo to figure what exactly it is to which they would need to agree. Reading through, it's interesting that they explicitly clarify that non-GPL artwork is totally fine in a GPL software package (as dunnoob mentions above). I wonder if Wesnoth is completely GPL, or if there are separate licenses for artwork/music/etc.
Last edited by vodot on Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vodot
Veteran

Post by vodot »

Wahazar wrote:JTN, thanks for clarification.
If I understand correctly (judging from existing pictures), there is no need of special palettes? RGB + alpha channel is OK?
That's correct.
Wahazar
Elite

Post by Wahazar »

If talking about cimpleton graphics and licence stuff: is it possible to use screenshots of rendered model, downloaded from site with 3d models and royality free licence, and be comply with GPL licence?

Another remarks: maybe all these cimpletoon renders should be skewed for about 5..15 deg azimuthally, instead of 0, 45, 90 etc, let say 10, 55, 100 etc.
Currently it is hard to recognize, if a man standing back is an archer, warrior, or knight or caravan, etc.
Augmented2 ruleset/modpack for freeciv2.6: http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=91047
louis94
Hardened

Post by louis94 »

> If talking about cimpleton graphics and licence stuff: is it possible to use screenshots of rendered model, downloaded from site with 3d models and royality free licence, and be comply with GPL licence?

It depends on the license offered to you by the website (or content creator in general).
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

I think I'll need something like this to render XYZ's Cimpletoon contributions; we have no pipeline, automated or manual, for this;
Let me know when this is again on the agenda. I made some changes to some units after I submitted them. No worries they are all good but if you have more time you can do always better.
Also, since the longship is on board I proposed some changes that would require some changes to the existing trireme to make look all 3 graphic similar. Same procedure I proposed for trident. In other words blanc sails for trireme, red/white stripes for longship, blue/white stripes for quinquireme and a hanseatic cross for cog on the sails (see attachment).
Also attached the longship I found with a CC0 licence.
Attachments
Longship.PNG
Ship proposal trident.png
Ship proposal trident.png (7.83 KiB) Viewed 8320 times
Wahazar
Elite

Post by Wahazar »

Not sure where to post it, but I was tired finding pollution, it is hard to spot even on ordinary tile, and almost not possible when unit or town is sitting on it.
I have no idea how to fix it for overhead tiles, but for isometric one, for example amplio2, I edited it adding flames and smoke:
pollution_iso.png
pollution_iso.png (3.61 KiB) Viewed 8291 times
Now it is easy to spot, even if whole tile is covered by other sprites, smoke sticks out, here are 3 examples:
pollutionexample.png
pollutionexample.png (177.14 KiB) Viewed 8291 times
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

Oh, I like that. I've grabbed it for Amplio2/Cimpletoon (hrm #765046) and suggested it for Hexemplio/Toonhex. (It doesn't fit as-is in the grid of any of the other iso tilesets such as Isotrident.)
Wahazar
Elite

Post by Wahazar »

Here is version for isotrident:
pollution_trident.png
pollution_trident.png (2.33 KiB) Viewed 8283 times
Things were even worse in isotrident, which is very "pixelised", and these small rubbish were hard to spot, now this blurry smoke and fire are easier to locate, although not quite match overall style, but it is just a method to distinguish something: make it different ;)