Explored, but Fogged Tiles on Minimap Black

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Explored, but Fogged Tiles on Minimap Black

Post by GriffonSpade »

Is there a setting to have the explored, but fogged tiles on the map display on the minimap? Having only the unfogged tiles makes it rather useless for use as an actual map of the world.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Re: Explored, but Fogged Tiles on Minimap Black

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Uh... They are displayed on the minimap. Darker than the unfogged tiles, but they are displayed.
What freeciv version and what tileset are you using?
~ AVL
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

Hmm, so it is, in that case, where is the color declared so I can fix it? :P
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Somewhere in one of the tileset files. Check /data/<tileset>.tilespec (with <tileset> being the tileset you use). Either it's somewhere there, or in one of the imported files, which are listed there.
EDIT: For most tilesets, it's in /data/misc/colors.tilespec, and the colors are only based on whether it's ocean terrain or ground terrain.
~ AVL
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

Ah, thanks Caedo, I have the same file used, but I'm wondering if it's actually drawing a translucent fog tile over them, one which has become opaque black on my tileset (due to not being able to edit partial transparencies). Maybe I can track it down and do something with it. Thanks for the help.
HanduMan

Post by HanduMan »

GriffonSpade wrote:Is there a setting to have the explored, but fogged tiles on the map display on the minimap?
If your need is just to have those tiles displayed on the minimap then you could go to Game - Options - Local client - Overview tab and uncheck the option Overview fog of war.

If you need them to be fogged also in the minimap then the sprite tag you should be searching for in tilespec's *.spec files is tx.fog. For example in Amplio2 it hides in terrain1.spec.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

yeah, i found it within a minute last night, unfortunately no matter how i poked and prodded openoffice, it won't let me make a 50% transparent tile. Could someone please make me a black, 50% transparent PNG image that is 128 pixels wide and 64 pixels tall?
HanduMan

Post by HanduMan »

Maybe you should consider updating your set of tools? ;) I would recommend trying either GIMP or Paint.net.

The 50% transparent black might still be too dark for the overlay map. So I made a couple of alternatives. Are you sure this will survive the tools you're using?
fog.png
fog.png (3.08 KiB) Viewed 9546 times
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

Thanks Handuman, I was planning on just using it directly, but I think I'll try out paintnet.
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Paint.NET is probably the one that's easier to use, while GIMP gives more possibilites. However, I think for Freeciv, Paint.NET is completely sufficient.
~ AVL