How to make a multiplayer server

Join us, meet players from all around the world, challenge the strongest top players, practice and be one of them!
Raph

How to make a multiplayer server

Post by Raph »

HI, 

For the past week or so, I've been trying to create a server so me and my friend can play. And it's so hard. Everywhere you go, the information is super unclear and they explain as if you already knew how to do it. What I do is that I launch the freeciv server, write /metaconnection up. From there, i can join my server in local, you can see it in the list of meta servers, but when you try and join it in the meta, it sais it can t find the host machine. I tried to change the address of the metaserver but then it sais it can t connect to the meta.

Any help appreciated.
drgerg
Veteran

Re: How to make a multiplayer server

Post by drgerg »

This post might get more visibility if it were in the Tech Support subforum. Perhaps a moderator will move it.

Anyhow, are you trying to set up a freeciv for a lan party or for an internet party. The difference is that you would have to make changes to your router that protects your intranet (lan) from the bad guys on the internet. Since everyone has a different router, there would different sets of instructions for routing the port 5556 to your computer/server or if you set up your server in the DMZ zone (not recommended -you better know how to harden your server or it will get pwned).

Second are you trying host the freeciv server on a Windows OS computer or a Linux OS computer?
uncleprimetime

Post by uncleprimetime »

Hi there! I'd like help creating a multiplayer server for a private 1v1 game.
drgerg
Veteran

Post by drgerg »

This answer is for Windows users, and I have assumed you have downloaded (and installed) the file freeciv-2.5.11-win32-gtk-setup.exe on to your two computers for your 1v1. This file is available on the downloads page. These instructions also assume the computers are on the same LAN, in other words you are in the same house (not in different houses).

Open a dos box (that dates me, doesn't it :lol: ), from your start bar, type in "cmd". This will open a new window, white letters on a black background.
type in this command: cd \program files (x86)
type in this command: cd freeciv-2.5.11-gtk2
type in this command: freeciv-server

now the server will be running, but no one has connected to it. Also you could do freeciv-server /h (instead of just freeciv-server) to get help on the options available here.

Open another dos box as before and type in the two cd commands, but this type the third command will be freeciv-gtk2. Click on the button "Connect to Network Game". Down in the lower left corner make sure the host says "localhost", then click on the connect button. One of the entries in the log should say "Established control over the server. You have command access Level 'Hack'. " This means you can click on the button "more game options" and change the parameters of the game (small pox/large pox, number of initial techs, initial units, initial gold, size of map, etc).

Now comes the more fun part, on the second computer for the second player. Again open the dos box, and type in the two cd commands. the third command will also be freeciv-gtk. Click on the button "connect to network game". Down in the lower left corner the value in the host field needs to be the IP address of the computer that has the freeciv server. An ip address is something like 192.168.1.15. Click on the connect button.

Now you have two clients connected to the game. Enjoy your 1v1.
drgerg
Veteran

Post by drgerg »

after you finish the game and exit from the gui (GTK) client, each computer will have a dos box. In that dos box, type exit.

For the dos box where you started started the server, type in two commands, quit, then exit.