play.freeciv.org has been shut down

Web version of freeciv. Please mention the site you're using, if speaking things other than general freeciv-web codebase.
JTN
Elite

play.freeciv.org has been shut down

Post by JTN »

The web version of Freeciv, play.freeciv.org, was shut down on 3 March 2018. The sole volunteer who was running the service is no longer willing to continue doing so.

We haven't identified anyone else on the (very small) Freeciv team who has the skills and time to run this service hosted on freeciv.org, so you should expect it to be down for the foreseeable future.

(I don't know what has happened to the games that were in progress.)
Schwartz

"New Freeciv Web" Discord server

Post by Schwartz »

It's sad news about Andreas. It will be up to us in the player community to determine the future of the play.freeciv.org subdomain.

The Game XIV server on Discord has been rededicated as the New Freeciv Web Discord server to discuss re-establishing play.freeciv.org, as well as designing a new administration/leadership system to prevent this problem in the future. Hopefully relatively soon we will be sending proposals to the game's maintainers and developers.

Right now, the New Freeciv Web Discord server is full primarily with longturn players. However, the community of players is much larger and everyone should have a voice, or at least be aware of what is going on. So, please join us: https://discordapp.com/invite/Cc8wxpk

[I've moved this to the shutdown announcement thread for greater visibility. --JTN]
JTN
Elite

Re: play.freeciv.org has been shut down

Post by JTN »

I've written some more words about the current state of things in a thread in the Freeciv-web forum.