How to make a spaceship?

Can't beat the AI? Is it too tame? Discuss the best strategies!
mfans

How to make a spaceship?

Post by mfans »

A spaceship needs how many space components, space modules and space structurals?
Arbogast
Elite

Re: How to make a spaceship?

Post by Arbogast »

Could this help :D ?
Attachments
Spaceship.jpg
mfans

Post by mfans »

My God, how many turns need I to make it? Can I make it by freights?
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

If you have enough big cities (everything incl. solar plant at size 20) you can build all needed parts in about 8 turns (for the expensive modules, minimally three modules). If all parts are ready in the same turn it takes only 16 turns from the start to a successful arrival.

Actually I think that's a not yet reported bug: The travel time should be either ten times larger, or the AIs should be able to switch from alliance to war immediately, and at least try to take your capital before your spaceship arrives.
derrill

Post by derrill »

If you only need 3 modules to build a minimal spaceship, why would you ever want to build more than 3 modules? It costs way more and just slows down the ship from arriving.

(Only thing I can think of is games where winning is determined by score and spaceship population is part of that...)
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

derrill wrote:If you only need 3 modules to build a minimal spaceship, why would you ever want to build more than 3 modules?
Indeed, this spaceship stuff is about as convincing as the FreeCol "revenge" crap (flying dutchman etc.). :roll:

Any decent ruleset should disable the hilarious space race as default (not locked, i.e., folks could still enable it if they really want to try it).
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Actually, if score matters, each set of modules gives you 100 points. And in some games score does matter.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
meynaf
Hardened

Post by meynaf »

It would be more interesting to build large space ships if the war could be bring to alpha centauri as well, i.e. if you could bring units in the ship to fight other ppl there...
Ok, a bit delirious but nevertheless :mrgreen:
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

I dunno, it seems like what parts you build on a spaceship should affect how long it takes to get there and the chances of success or something...
Edit: In civ1, this DID change how long it takes to get there. The 'success chance' apparently just basically tells you what percentage of your colonists will survive, so if success is 0%, it fails?

Civ3 ends as soon as there's a launch and just uses 1 of each of 10 parts. Civ2 doesn't seem to have an article? I assume it works the same way as civ1.

Scoring:
spaceship population divided by 200, multiplied by success % (rounded down)
- or -
habitation modules multiplied by 50, multiplied by success % (rounded down)
(Both are identical: Each 200 population is worth 1 point, and there are 10,000 population per habitation)

http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Spaceship_%28Civ1%29

Civ4 has an interesting way of doing spaceship too: It has a real chance of failure, and you can build more thrusters to go faster, or more casings to have a higher success chance.
The spaceship consists of the following parts:

1–5 × Casing
1 × Cockpit
1 × Docking Bay
1–2 × Engine
1 × Life Support
1 × Stasis Chamber
1–5 × Thrusters
Civ5 goes back to Civ3's method of winning at launch, and needs 6 parts: 3 boosters, a cockpit, a stasis module, and an engine.