Where to get older freeciv versions? [Trouble with 2.5.10]

You can get help here if Freeciv doesn't start on your computer, or if you keep getting fatal errors while playing etc.
wieder
Elite

Where to get older freeciv versions? [Trouble with 2.5.10]

Post by wieder »

I got this question on the LT41 game chat and don't know the answer:

I installed 2.4.5 but it was not compatible...where can I find a 2.5 version other than 2.5.10? not listed on website
I really want to be able to resize my city windows

I'm using Windows 2.5.7 and no problems. Seems that 2.5.10 users are having lots of issues on longturn.org. All seems to be client UI related, GTK and both Win and Linux.

I'm opening a bug list thread there so that reporting is easy for the LT users.

http://forum.longturn.org/viewtopic.php?pid=7676#p7676
cazfi
Elite

Re: Where to get older freeciv versions?

Post by cazfi »

cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

wieder wrote:Seems that 2.5.10 users are having lots of issues on longturn.org. All seems to be client UI related, GTK and both Win and Linux.
I'm surprised to hear that there is "a lot of issues". There has been just one bug reported in 2.5.10 (client showing "correct" small wonder buy cost even if older server then takes twice the amount) - has so far seemed like the least buggy freeciv release ever.

As you can expect on such an mature branch like S2_5, there has not been much exciting changes between 2.5.9 and 2.5.10 to potentially explain the problems. Cairo version has been updated in windows build environment - that could affect UI of both gtk- and Qt-client. However, you say that the problems are not windows-only, but affecting Linux also. Might still be worth to make a test Windows build with build environment update reverted?
Kryon

Post by Kryon »

Thanks! installed 2.5.9 from https://sourceforge.net/projects/freeciv/files/ and city window resize now works!

Note: It used to not work with 2.5.10. I use windows 10. I am not sure if Linux client has the same problem or not.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Kryon wrote:city window resize now works!
Could you test if it works with gtk2-client test build from
http://files.freeciv.org/packages/windo ... 56ddc0148/ ?
That build is made from current HEAD of freeciv S2_5 branch (2.5.10 + a bit), but with the same gnuwin build environment as 2.5.9 release was made, instead of the newer version that was used in building 2.5.10 release.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

City window resize crash now Bug #735238.

Client display of Small Wonder buy cost: Bug #734380
Kryon

Post by Kryon »

city window resizing with the test version of 2.5.10 gtk2 client works. 2.5.9 also works. 2.5.10 release version does not.
wieder
Elite

Post by wieder »

Lots of issues is of course a matter of taste. Maybe just more people asking about that stuff than before.

I think there were few more users asking about some weird behavior but I can't seem to find what it was about. Maybe duplicate issues or not. I'll try to see if anyone reports about that again. The players make most of the comments on in-game chat or even in private in-game chat and that makes them difficult to track. Not saying that there would be more issues but maybe different ones. Some stuff on the old clients were easy to get used to. Like the one in 2.5.7 where the production is not updated without switching to another city tab.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

I'm not saying that there cannot be issues. Just that I'm a bit frustrated that nobody bothers to report the issues to us so that we could look at them instead of being happy that everything seems to work perfectly.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Kryon wrote:city window resizing with the test version of 2.5.10 gtk2 client works. 2.5.9 also works. 2.5.10 release version does not.
Thanks for testing. Our current plan is to release 2.5.11, using older gnuwin, and so fixing this issue, in two weeks. We may still postpone that if more issues with 2.5.10 are reported so that we have time to look at them before the 2.5.11 release.