Your GTK UI Setup

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Your GTK UI Setup

Post by GriffonSpade »

So, instead of stumbling around with terrible UI setups, maybe we should have a topic where we have what UI setups we use in GTK?

Here's the best one I've found so far:
GTKUI.png
GTKUI.png (14.24 KiB) Viewed 8242 times
Interface Options:
Show map scrollbars = TRUE (here, but FALSE often enough)
Messages and Chat Reports section = SEPARATE
Arrange widgets for small display = FALSE

Map widget detached and moved to the bottom-right corner of screen, right up next to the message section's scrollbar.
Messages section raised enough to cover map widget.

This setup works pretty well, and doesn't have any centering distortions from having things floating over the main map.
dunnoob
Elite

Re: Your GTK UI Setup

Post by dunnoob »

FWIW, everything in tabs, Show map scroll bars FALSE, Messages and Chat reports location MERGED, Arrange widgets for small display TRUE:
2.5.10.png
2.5.10.png (98.44 KiB) Viewed 8232 times
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

I like both UIs, but I prefer the one by dunnoob as it gives the largest view.
Can you guys mention which version of the GTK are they? Looks like GTK2.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

Arbogast wrote:I like both UIs, but I prefer the one by dunnoob as it gives the largest view.
Can you guys mention which version of the GTK are they? Looks like GTK2.
AFAIK, GTK 2, 3, and 3.22 all have the same UI widgets.
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

GriffonSpade wrote:AFAIK, GTK 2, 3, and 3.22 all have the same UI widgets.
One minor difference, apart from the missing background discussed in another thread, GTK3 has the sidebar on the right. Apparently our examples are GTK2.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

dunnoob wrote:
One minor difference, apart from the missing background discussed in another thread, GTK3 has the sidebar on the right. Apparently our examples are GTK2.
Hmm. Mine is GTK3. So, I'm not sure what's going on. :P

I know QT has an option to switch the sides (Which is very nice), but I don't think GTK has that.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

dunnoob wrote:GTK3 has the sidebar on the right.
I've seen that with some versions of gtk+-3, and only in Windows, I think. No idea why it decides to organize the widgets in that order (and apparently we are not forcing the order but rely on gtk+ to organize them automatically)
Arbogast
Elite

Post by Arbogast »

I don't think so, in my case, GTK3 has super wide scrolling bars on the right widget. Also, the mini-map doesn't change when unlocking and relocking. I don't remember much more as I got totally turned off to that GTK.
Here is two views about the mini-map thing. Notice the size difference. Not so with the GTK3
Widgets before.jpg
Widgets after.jpg
As for the GTK3 image, I would have to download a 32 bit version and install it but only if one of you guys want an image.
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

New GTK3 odditities vs. old + busted GTK2:
cazfi wrote:I've seen that with some versions of gtk+-3, and only in Windows, I think. No idea why it decides to organize the widgets in that order (and apparently we are not forcing the order but rely on gtk+ to organize them automatically)
GriffonSpade wrote:Hmm. Mine is GTK3. So, I'm not sure what's going on. :P
Fresh meat for the Gtk minefield. If 2.6.0 just "happens" to offer a GTK2 client for Windows I'll grab that and don't talk about it. :oops:
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

dunnoob wrote:Fresh meat for the Gtk minefield. If 2.6.0 just "happens" to offer a GTK2 client for Windows I'll grab that and don't talk about it. :oops:
There's still gtk2-client for Windows for freeciv-2.6. In freeciv-3.0 gtk2-client still exist to some extend, but Windows builds of it are unlikely (Windows builds switch to using msys2 environment in general, and currently our msys2 environments don't offer gtk2 support). There's no gtk2-client code at all in freeciv-3.1.
Unlike old msys1 environment, msys2 offers gtk+-3.22, so freeciv-3.0 and freeciv-3.1 will provide Windows builds of gtk3.22-client instead of gtk3-client. Current experimental msys2 builds from freeciv-2.6 offer both.