my list of feature requests

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
meynaf
Hardened

my list of feature requests

Post by meynaf »

Ok ! Coders never have enough time to implement all they want and their todo list grows in unacceptable proportion.
So i am really sorry i have to add my layer on top of this :oops:

Nevertheless these seem the "right" thing to do. So here it goes :

Option to popup tech (F6) directly when research is done, or, at least, when the very first tech point is produced (else we start with a random one and this is easily forgotten).

Configurable ability to choose which space component/module to build. Even old civ1 offered to choose.
As an extension, could have it be 6 building types instead of 3. As "Component" and "Module" seem more or less meaningless to me.
(Habitation and solar panel aren't the same, huh ? So we must know beforehand which one we intend to build, huh ?)

Ability for Coastal Defense to shoot approaching ships, somehow like Colonization fortresses do.
Would make it quite a lot useful against barbs. Would make this building valuable even for single player against underdeveloped foes.

Extra winning condition : settle on some percentage of land (iirc like civ3).
And, more important : make it possible that the winning conditions are combined with AND, not OR !

Cities shall remember their configuration before any barbs (or whatever enemies) attack. Else they get messed up with cells no longer used (i.e. poor configuration until city population changes), or automatically rearranged in a way that's worse than before. IIRC in civ1 cities were properly restored after barb passages.

Message saying some city needs a building for further growth is inadequate when the reqs isn't a building (in my case, a tech).

Red range shown for settlers is of wrong size if the city size depends on techs rather than its population.
Signaled here : http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?p=97690

Ability to tweak the likeliness a particular special resource has relative to others with the map generator (for rulesets).
Seems currently even lua scripts can't touch these (perhaps 3.0 can, though, it has been unclear to me).

City popups should appear centered on screen. They are too big to be local to something.

Rather than having Leonardo's Workshop made obsolete, every upgrade target unit should have a flag indicating if it can be made by free upgrading. This way old upgrade possibilities are not lost and what could be done before, can still be done later.

Keep messages in list until they have been read rather than cleaning-up every turn (i.e. keep messages until the message tab is shown).

Yeah I know, it's easy to ask.
However if you did not know what to do... :mrgreen:
GriffonSpade
Elite

Re: my list of feature requests

Post by GriffonSpade »

meynaf wrote:7.
Red range shown for settlers is of wrong size if the city size depends on techs rather than its population.
Signaled here : http://forum.freeciv.org/f/viewtopic.php?p=97690
Technically, I think this is a bug rather than a feature request. :P
meynaf wrote:8.
Ability to tweak the likeliness a particular special resource has relative to others with the map generator (for rulesets).
Seems currently even lua scripts can't touch these (perhaps 3.0 can, though, it has been unclear to me).
Controlled solely by the ruleset and tileset. (Ruleset definition points to tileset definition, Tileset definition points to sprite on an image)
If it's still just one image, rather than adding multiple images to the same special resource, it's usually done via a custom tileset.
If you want multiple images of what is effectively the same special resource, it will require adding additional extras to a ruleset with each of the images. (I don't think multiple sprite variants is supported for a single extra.)
meynaf wrote:11.
Keep messages in list until they have been read rather than cleaning-up every turn (i.e. keep messages until the message tab is shown).
While it's not possible to do that, it's notable that it /is/ possible to keep them in the message list for multiple turns.
meynaf wrote:Yeah I know, it's easy to ask.
However if you did not know what to do... :mrgreen:
If they don't know about an idea, they can't decide whether or not to do it. :)
meynaf
Hardened

Post by meynaf »

GriffonSpade wrote: Technically, I think this is a bug rather than a feature request. :P
It is not really a coding error ; more like something not implemented.

GriffonSpade wrote: Controlled solely by the ruleset and tileset. (Ruleset definition points to tileset definition, Tileset definition points to sprite on an image)
If it's still just one image, rather than adding multiple images to the same special resource, it's usually done via a custom tileset.
If you want multiple images of what is effectively the same special resource, it will require adding additional extras to a ruleset with each of the images. (I don't think multiple sprite variants is supported for a single extra.)
So I just need to duplicate entries, ok.
Is it possible to convert one special resource into another (f.e. when converting terrain to another type) ?

GriffonSpade wrote: While it's not possible to do that, it's notable that it /is/ possible to keep them in the message list for multiple turns.
No "mark forum read" option ? :lol:
The problem of keeping messages is that they flood the player upon reloading a saved game...
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

meynaf wrote:It is not really a coding error ; more like something not implemented.
The displayed city radius for a settler does not match the city radius of the settled city. A minor one that slipped through the cracks when the variable city radius was implemented certainly, but still a bug. :)

meynaf wrote:So I just need to duplicate entries, ok.
Is it possible to convert one special resource into another (f.e. when converting terrain to another type) ?
I do not believe so.
GriffonSpade wrote: While it's not possible to do that, it's notable that it /is/ possible to keep them in the message list for multiple turns.
No "mark forum read" option ? :lol:
The problem of keeping messages is that they flood the player upon reloading a saved game...[/quote]
Yeah. It's certainly something that I never knew I needed, but now that I know about it, I need it. :P
(And yeah, usually only use 2-3 turns of messages kept)
meynaf
Hardened

Post by meynaf »

GriffonSpade wrote: The displayed city radius for a settler does not match the city radius of the settled city. A minor one that slipped through the cracks when the variable city radius was implemented certainly, but still a bug. :)
What happens is that the city radius of the settled city is initially the same as the one for the settler, but once founded, the city immediately grows to normal size because it matches the requirements.
But yeah, probably still a bug ;)
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

meynaf wrote: Configurable ability to choose which space component/module to build. Even old civ1 offered to choose.
At the moment that's not really helpful: As soon as you know that you need exactly three modules, and that components come in pairs, it doesn't matter in which order you build the minimal set of modules or the pairs.
meynaf
Hardened

Post by meynaf »

dunnoob wrote:At the moment that's not really helpful: As soon as you know that you need exactly three modules, and that components come in pairs, it doesn't matter in which order you build the minimal set of modules or the pairs.
Not exactly true for the modules. You may try sending more population, with limited support and/or energy. It might still be successful.
And anyway it's not for being helpful, it's for being realistic.

Besides, their cost and required tech can then differ...
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

meynaf wrote:You may try sending more population
All I want when I build a spaceship is to finish a boring game as winner: Three modules. :P
Besides, their cost and required tech can then differ...
Not at the moment, there are three effects SS_Module (etc.) in the effects.ruleset, and three buildings building_space_module (etc.) in the buidings.ruleset. Quotes reordered:
it's for being realistic
About 8 years is not realistic, it's far too fast, realistically. And your former AI allies are trapped in an armistice for 15 turns, it's also far too fast for some all out war effort against your capital. Cheat sheet:
meynaf
Hardened

Post by meynaf »

dunnoob wrote:All I want when I build a spaceship is to finish a boring game as winner: Three modules. :P
We differ wildly here : I build as much as the game accepts :)

dunnoob wrote: Not at the moment, there are three effects SS_Module (etc.) in the effects.ruleset, and three buildings building_space_module (etc.) in the buidings.ruleset.
What about having more ? ;)
There could be other achievements than the spaceship, btw.

dunnoob wrote: About 8 years is not realistic, it's far too fast, realistically. And your former AI allies are trapped in an armistice for 15 turns, it's also far too fast for some all out war effort against your capital. Cheat sheet:
Well, 8 years is still theoretically possible (approx. 50% light speed).
But using solar panels for energy in deep space (no star to provide light around) is not very clever...
Nevertheless giving a little more control on spaceships for rulesets shouldn't be so hard to implement, huh ?
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

meynaf wrote:
dunnoob wrote: About 8 years is not realistic, it's far too fast, realistically. And your former AI allies are trapped in an armistice for 15 turns, it's also far too fast for some all out war effort against your capital. Cheat sheet:
Well, 8 years is still theoretically possible (approx. 50% light speed).
But using solar panels for energy in deep space (no star to provide light around) is not very clever...
Nevertheless giving a little more control on spaceships for rulesets shouldn't be so hard to implement, huh ?
Yeah, but with rockets? Voyager 1 took 36 years just to reach the edge of the solar system! 40+ years (10% of the speed of light?) would probably make more sense. And give everyone else enough time to kill you.

And solar panels, while providing very little power, might be enough to be cost effective over years.
meynaf wrote:There could be other achievements than the spaceship, btw.
Specifically, we have Map_Known, Spaceship_Launched, Multicultural, Literate, Cultured_City, Cultured_Nation, Lucky, Huts, Metropolis, Land_Ahoy. At least in 2.6.