AmplioHexBig 2.6

Contribute, display and discuss art and tilesets for use in Freeciv here.
cazfi
Elite

Re: AmplioHexBig 2.6

Post by cazfi »

drakeraider

Post by drakeraider »

Hey yo. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but is it possible to make a vertical version of this tileset for non-iso hex?
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

drakeraider wrote:Hey yo. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but is it possible to make a vertical version of this tileset for non-iso hex?
Unfortunately not. Such a conversion would still basically require building an entire tileset from the sheer volume of changes it would need. If anything, I'd like to adapt a double-stacked amplio2, but the main problem is that I'd like to preserve amplio2's coast for it, and I've been unable to adapt it thus far.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

Alright, done some more updates for Hexemplio. It's resized and a little bigger, but I redid them completely. Ocean has been desaturated (now similar to Amplio2 Ocean) and Floor is blue shifted and saturated (Again, similar to Amplio2). All three water tiles now based on color-inverted Desert. I also did it in the same style as isophex's corner sprites, and expanded them so there would be some overlap within a tile, removing intra-tile blackspace when zooming.

The new dither is reduced, but also uses half-transparent pixels in addition to fully dithered pixels.
hexemplio.rar
(274.55 KiB) Downloaded 457 times
hexemplio.tilespec:
-Match type of land terrain set to lake (Causes lake to properly match to land)

terrain.png:
-New dithering sprite
-New Lake, Ocean, Floor sprites

water1.png, water2.png, water3.png:
-New Lake, Floor corner sprites
-New Shore sprites
--All three oceanic terrains now use the same Shore sprites

water1.spec, water2.spec, water3.spec:
-Updated for resized and condensed sprites

I've also started trying to make ice-shelf sprites again. I'm optimistic that this will yield at least basic ice shelves. I've also started on a non-iso version of a hex amplio tileset, but that will not be completed any time in the foreseeable future.

I also might go back and add an extra strip of pixels to the bottom diagonals on the corner sprites.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

Latest hexemplio updates -> http://www.hostedredmine.com/issues/731454
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

Hexemplio update. Includes 'curtaining' that takes care of any 'black lines' due to zooming issues on layer 0. Extra pixels that are normally covered, but are partially visible due to zoom blurring. (Still some partial visibility of layer0 underneath layer1 due to zoom blurring. as any curtains would not be hidden behind layer 0.)

Strictly image updates, wiith some additional dirty pixel cleaning as well. And new river outlets.
hexemplio.rar
(297.91 KiB) Downloaded 437 times
water1.png: added terrain sprite curtaining, dirty pixel cleaning
water2.png: added terrain sprite curtaining, dirty pixel cleaning
water3.png: added terrain sprite curtaining, dirty pixel cleaning
terrain.png: added terrain sprite curtaining, dirty pixel cleaning, and dithering changed (again).
rivers.png: new river outlets.

Edit: I'm thinking about using the 'is tall' property for the mountain/hill/forest/jungle sprites. It's liable only to appear in A6B rather than Hexemplio, though. I need to familiarize myself with the property, decide how much I'm going to use, and actually build sprites that use it.

And on top of that, I need to redo all the corner sprites and add curtaining to A6B sprites.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

Apparently, I didn't get the rivers.png into that previous zip somehow. Here it is.
rivers.png
On another note, I'm VERY NEARLY done with a6b 2.6.03! All the spritesheet stuff is long done and tested (Well, except GT image checking, since I have no 2.6 ruleset for it yet, but it loads.) Been cleaning up the text files and documentation for the past 4 hours or so, and once that's done I just need to do final checks and then package it.
GriffonSpade
Elite

Post by GriffonSpade »

2.6.03 is up! As is XPT 2.6.03.00.

Big features of this version are 'sprite curtains' for base layer stuff. Basically, it means when zoomed and tiles are stretched, there will be normally covered pixels preventing black lines from showing.

On the back end, corner sprites are broken down and recombined, with a single sprite sheet being a single tile, top, bottom, and side sprites all on one sheet. As opposed to previous, when there were many top or bottom or side sprites combined, with one-third of all the tiles being a sprite sheet. Hurray for not having to manually enumerate these sprites anymore. Adding new sprites now just takes a quick copy, paste, and replace.

Units has been completely reorganized again, and there are a few new units as well. Most notably those based on Vladimir Slavik's awesome work.

Finally, some of the stuff intended for Hexemplio in beta3 is imported into AmplioHexBig directly.

As for XPT, added a bunch of forts based on the city walls of various nations that were not used previously: stone, european, babylonian, painted (blue babylonian), oriental, and modern. Plus, brown and green rivers have returned. New units are PT Boats, Missile Submarine, and Corvette.
PT Boats work like Fighters, with limited fuel and limited to shallow ocean (Trireme class).
Missile Submarines are split off from Submarines, who have the attack power while Missile Subs get the transport slots.
Corvettes are essentially the modern version of a destroyer, and based on fully armed with ASW and missiles versions of ships like Coast Guard Cutters, which due to the upscaling of ships, are actually around the size of a WWII destroyer, which it replaces.
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

AmplioHexBig v2.6.03 Part4.zip appears to have the same content as AmplioHexBig v2.6.03 Part1.zip except that it lacks the top-level .tilespec files.
JTN
Elite

Post by JTN »

GriffonSpade wrote:Big features of this version are 'sprite curtains' for base layer stuff. Basically, it means when zoomed and tiles are stretched, there will be normally covered pixels preventing black lines from showing.
Is this something the game engine really ought to be taking care of, do you think?