Combat, bombardment, destruction and damage

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
wieder
Elite

Re: Combat, bombardment, destruction and damage

Post by wieder »

This is actually why I think it might be possible to let the bombers to attack or bombard. From the game help:

"A Bomber's attack against units on land is a bombard attack; against units on water it has a regular attack."

Now it needs to be checked how that is defined.
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

Just to clarify my question about available coders: we can debate all we want about how this or that should be handled, but I participated in too many such academic discussions where nothing came out of it because no changes at all were implemented. If there is someone ready, willing and able to implement the changes, I'll gladly discuss it. If not, I'm back to my ruleset because at least that will yield a realistic result.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
wieder
Elite

Post by wieder »

I suggest to focus on stuff that can be made with just ruleset changes. Even while the patch made to longturn.org was one of the most simple ones there can be, it was made because there was absolutely no other way to get a similar or even close to similar effect with just ruleset changes.

I'm not saying that code would be impossible but it's not only about implementing it. With code changes the game needs more maintaining in the future and all that is really risky. That's another reason why doing stuff like that will take lots of time. Not even all coders think about the risks involved.

Then again things change. Not too long ago (just a half of a decade :) ) lots of people thought that there is too much talk about ruleset changes and that those will never really be implemented. There were lots of ideas but what was stopping people from doing something was the lack of understanding how the rulesets work. Today more and more people have better understanding of that and ruleset changes are no longer just academic talks.

With code changes maybe best to suggest changes for the official game. The patch on LT40 was suggested to become official setting and it may make there in few years. The 2nd best option is to do it ourselves but maybe by not rushing. Yeah... everything... taking... time... may be .... frustrating :)