Separate Queue for Units and Buildings

What would you like to see in Freeciv? Do you have a good idea what should be improved or how?
GriffonSpade
Elite

Separate Queue for Units and Buildings

Post by GriffonSpade »

In a city with a million people, why wouldn't you be able to build a granary at the same time you train a legion? I don't have much hope for such a massive change to come, but one could wish.
Separating units and buildings sanely requires two fundamental changes to how production is handled.

I] Separation of the production queue into 3 parts: Construction, Manufacturing, and Training.

II] Division of production resource into 2 parts: Construction and Manufacturing.

Ia. Construction is the building queue, it works as now.
Ib. Manufacturing is vehicle/mechanized unit queue, it works as now. (Bombards, freight, tanks, airplanes, ships, and maybe engineers)
Ic. Training is the human unit queue.
Instead of using production, it uses a time-based creation.
Effects can alter how long it takes to train units.
While a unit is being trained, it consumes an effect-modifiable upkeep cost as if it was a live unit.
Effects can also alter how many units are trained at once (For example, barracks might allow the top two units to be undergoing training, rather than just the top one).
If there's an upkeep deficit, in-training units are dropped first, starting from the 'bottom' one currently being trained.
Losing a training slot would cause any unfinished unit that is no longer being trained to lose all its training.
One unit a turn could be Rushed with gold, but would not gain veteran level effects from buildings.

II. Division of the production resource would work like trade resource division, but controlled at the city level.
IIa. Construction Resource is used for buildings. It is the default production resource.
IIb. Manufacturing Resource is used for manufacturing units(Not training). How much of a percent of your production can go into manufacturing is controlled by effects, similar to tax limits, only on the city level. Any unused Manufacturing Resource is automatically dumped back into Construction Resource.
Corbeau
Elite

Re: Separate Queue for Units and Buildings

Post by Corbeau »

GriffonSpade wrote:In a city with a million people, why wouldn't you be able to build a granary at the same time you train a legion? I don't have much hope for such a massive change to come, but one could wish.
It is an inherent flaw of Civlization that units are "built" the same way as buildings, which doesn't really make sense. I am working on a ruleset (for a while now, RL happens) that would rectify this. The idea is that building units should be very cheap, but maintaining them is much more expensive and goes both in shields and money. So, perhaps, you'd end up with paying the same amount, only for a prolonged war or a large standing army it would be spread over time. This way the unit itself would be "built" quickly and make room in the queue for a real "building".
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
wieder
Elite

Post by wieder »

Probably the easiest way to implement building a unit and a building at the same time would be making it possible to build two different types of something in one turn. Now it's possible to build more than one unit of same type at once. If it would be possible to build two of different types, that would effectively do this for you.

On the other hand, if you would want to keep building two different things more than two turns, I must ask, why? Why not build first a unit and then the building and not spend for example 5 turns on both before completing them?
Lachu
Elite

Post by Lachu »

In Civilization IV built building is faster, when city have certain resources. Maybe making work on tile with iron/coal/etc. giving a production points for newer ships/mechanized units and stones giving production points for buildings makes sense?

And another thought. In CivVI exists districts like military districts. Military district is responsible for training land military units. In Progress I split cities into special types, like residential, military, etc. Maybe makes sense to produce military units only in military city/districts?
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

Corbeau wrote:It is an inherent flaw of Civlization that units are "built" the same way as buildings, which doesn't really make sense.
That flaw is a feature from my POV, you just have to decide what you want, units or the next building or even a wonder. Figuring this out is a major fun factor in Freeciv.