Hotseat?

Various topics about the game, the website, or anything else Freeciv related that doesn't fit elsewhere.
freebe

Hotseat?

Post by freebe »

Hello, I can't find any option to play the game in a hotseat. Wich I see as a vital option for a game like civ. I would really like to play it with a friend on one computer. But it seems that other human players can only join via network.

Is there a possibility to add another human player from the same computer for a hotseat game?

Best regards
freebe
louis94
Hardened

Re: Hotseat?

Post by louis94 »

Hello,

Playing a hotseat game is just like playing a network game, but the two computers are the same (a computer is connected to itself via network). So you start the server once and the client twice, then select "Connect to network game" in both clients.

Louis
freebe

Post by freebe »

That is a nice workaround if there is a network connection. However, Can I play if there is no network?

EDIT: Nevermind, I was confused because I couldn't see a game in the 2nd client I opened. But when I just pressed "connect" to "localhost" and the right port, it worked just fine. It is a little bit annoying that we need open two/three clients but tha game works fine. Thank you very much!
AndreasR
Elite

Post by AndreasR »

Freeciv-web now supports hotseat games. Please give it a try and let me know how it works for you. Thanks!
XYZ
Elite

Post by XYZ »

Thanks for implementing! Worked fine for me!
Lyrina

Post by Lyrina »

Hello everyone :-).

Just wondering: Is this still a topic, for the regular client-version?

The reason i ask is quite simple. I want to play the game as hotseat, like back then on mailbox/email, sending the savegame to other players, using a hotseat-session. I know, its implemented into the web-version, but its not the same "feeling", like 'back then' ;).

/cheers
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

In the regular, client version, it's still easily possible to play hot-seat. As Louis explained, instead of starting a single-player game from the client, you can separately start the freeciv-server that comes shipped with the installation. Then you can start multiple clients and connect each of them to the server (the hostname to connect to a local server is "localhost", the default port is 5556). You'll want to choose different names when connecting from different clients. Typically, connecting from the same machine should give those clients 'hack' level privileges, i.e. you'll be able to adjust server settings and do funky stuff from the clients. If that doesn't happen automatically (for whatever reason), you can set that by going to the server console and entering 'cmdlevel hack' followed by the name of one of the connections.

Additionally, you might want to go to the "internal" tab in the game settings and adjust the phase mode so that players alternate taking their turns – they're going to be doing that anyways when playing hotseat, and it avoids some corner cases that could otherwise cause some unwelcome surprises.

I hope this helps.
~ AVL
Lachu
Elite

Post by Lachu »

Maybe improve "hotseat" with client lock mode? In hotseat mode, client will ask for password, once player click turn done. It allows to play one player against others on the same machine.

I don't know there shouldn't be animation buffer. Client will save animations into animation buffer and display it, when player unlock client.
madmax
Veteran

Post by madmax »

Not tried it, but maybe setting the players to humans and then using /take to "change player" suits your need.
EdgarTorronteras

Post by EdgarTorronteras »

louis94 wrote:Hello,

Playing a hotseat game is just like playing a network game, but the two computers are the same (a computer is connected to itself via network). So you start the server once and the client twice, then select "Connect to network game" in both clients.

Louis
I can only join three other entities of the client to a game hosted by the fourth. When I try joining a fifth one, it immediately gets disconnected. Why is that?