New game LT40 starting in 2weeks + 1 day

Planning and discussing Freeciv Longturn gaming
wieder
Elite

New game LT40 starting in 2weeks + 1 day

Post by wieder »

LT40: Something very different with focus on building and allying

Then there is LT40. This game is going to be a slightly more experimental one (while not really an experimental game) and while there will be wars the game, it is probably going to have a bit more emphasis on building stuff and reaching for the stars. To achieve this the empire sizes have limitation in the form of increased unhappiness as the empire grows. The allied victory is not available. The "bounded" empire sizes will make global conquest harder, while not really impossible. Once you reach the empire size barrier, the unhappiness will increase every time you build or get a new city or cities. The empire_size_step will be very very low.

For this game all the players will be ranked with the in-game score. You will get ranking for LT40 even if you don't make to the end game which should make this competitive for everyone. Even if you don't win/end the game with the space race victory, you can still try to beat your neighbor or some other player you have been fighting with.

LT40 also has *lots* of new buildings, wonders and other game enhancing features no one really is that familiar with. There is a new government, government specific early units and even submarines for transporting spies behind the enemy lines. Techs can't be traded traditionally but they can be stolen with diplomats and spies. Since there can be only one player with the best score and there is no allied victory, expect competitive game with deception and secret & evil plans to beat the others. However you can also expect defensive alliances aimed at helping its members to live and let live.

Notice! You need to have a native 2.5.x client to play this game! A web client will not do it!
Last edited by wieder on Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
wieder
Elite

Re: New game LT40 starting in 2weeks + 1 day

Post by wieder »

Oh right. Forgot the links.

More info about LT40 on the forum: http://forum.longturn.org/viewforum.php?id=27

Join LT40 here: http://longturn.org/game/LT40/

The ruleset for LT40 should be finalized this week and while there may be some adjustments and definitely testing, the ruleset and currently almost final list of changes can be found here. It's not a complete list of changes but compared to previous and more traditional LT games. From this you should get some idea about what kind of changes to expect.

https://github.com/longturn/games/commits/master/LT40
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

For those who don't know, one of the specialties of LT series is that before every game there is a "test game" with the new ruleset. Basically, it is aimed at checking up the changes in the ruleset made for taht partiular game. However, for new players, it can be very useful to check out the environment and to actually test the game itself and also get acquainted with the interface, new rules and the general feeling of it all.

The test is really a test game. Most people are offline most of the time and there is no point in competing. It is basically "warming up" before the real game. Right now a test game for LT40 is going on. The turn lasts two minutes so you can set your units and cities on automatic and go offline and come back later to see what happened, check out the help files (Civilopedia), investigate what your cities have built and what effect those things have etc.

You can reach the test game using the Freeciv client programme.

Server: lt40.longturn.org
Port: 5040

If you get the opportunity, do not seriously attack other players (unless you really want to test how some unit or weapon works) because they will want to test stuff, too, when they come online.
--
* Freeciv LongTurn, a community of one-turn-per-day players and developers
* LongTurn Blog - information nexus with stuff and stuff and stuff
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

What exactly is the procedure for confirming participation? I don't mean "where to click", I mean the timeframe.

Also, I just realised that the anal-retentive part of me suffers from a tiny cringe when seeing player names without the first capital letter... Is there anythign that can be done about it? :D I, mean, ok, the least relevant of ALL things, just curious :)
--
* Longturn Discord server; real-time chatting, discussing, quarrelling, trolling, gaslighting...
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

Corbeau wrote:What exactly is the procedure for confirming participation? I don't mean "where to click", I mean the timeframe.
One week before the game starts, if I'm not mistaken. So in four days.
~ AVL
Corbeau
Elite

Post by Corbeau »

And what is the final moment when someone can sign up? I have a feeling it is slightly counterproductive if someone would be able to come to the page four days before the game starts and then immediately both sign up and confirm participation.
--
wieder
Elite

Post by wieder »

Quick answers...

You can confirm the participation when there is 2 weeks to the start.

You can join to the game until the last moment when the web page allows you to do that. The game doesn't start automatically but it's started by hand so there is a good chance that you can join even if joining just closed. You can make a forum post asking to be added to the game, or you send mail through the forum.

Once the signups are closed, there will be final setups. Adding the players and final checks with the map. After that it will be started and the players will be notified about that. The first turn will be extended 3*23h so the everyone will make it.

This is not intended to be lots of games with hundreds of players each. Will most likely never be. The idea is just to have good games with enough but not too many players. Maybe 30 players / game would be ideal.

Having 126 players signing up in one day would be... bad :P