Kumbaya

Planning and discussing Freeciv Longturn gaming
mooreinstore

Kumbaya

Post by mooreinstore »

I jokingly called my foreign policy and strategy Kumbaya and I guess it has been talked about. I would basically just be friends with everyone. I made large share tech alliances and farmvilled my civ in a non aggression isolationist kind of way. I would often help civs that were less developed because it was just more fun to be friends with them than to run them over. This gave me more prosperity because then I had another ally to help research tech. I would give them everything but philosophy and then have them make something I want as their research goal while researching the cheaper tech philosophy. Then we could both have that more expensive tech cheaper as the free tech bonus that came with philosophy. This was repeated again with the wonder that gives tech. Having 6 or 8 people do that will bump you up pretty fast.
Various friends have been getting back to me about rumors about my Kumbaya affecting Game 8. This IS very amusing to me because I'm not even playing right now. I am taking a break from all Longturn games until at least January and maybe until May. I'm starting to get busier than usual. The writing and the DIY movie I'm making next year is going to take a lot of my time. I still talk to most of the allies I had in the many games. If there is a fear of Kumbaya entering the game it must be because of my positive influence in game strategies. Most people just want to be little Hitlers and I guess Kumbaya kind of messes that up. I hope a lot of people follow my example though because they will be a lot more fun for me to hang out with when I return to play Longturn.
wieder
Elite

Re: Kumbaya

Post by wieder »

Sounds kind of the strategy we had in LT30 :)

Something like this definitely makes the game harder and more interesting. It's just hard to find a balance between allowing tech trading while making it expensive enough so that the big alliances can't win the game by just forming an unbeatable tech alliance.

Would be nice to make more possibilities for helping other players if they are in trouble. Gold, techs and military units are a good start but it would be nice if you could donate units to other players. That's of course possible with city trading.
cazfi
Elite

Post by cazfi »

wieder wrote:t would be nice if you could donate units to other players.
I'm not sure if it's possible in S3_0, but at least the way action enablers for Home City action explicitly requires city not to be foreign would indicate that the requirement could be removed.

Code: Select all

[actionenabler_change_home_city]
action = "Home City"
actor_reqs    =
    { "type",      "name",        "range", "present"
      "UnitFlag",  "NoHome",      "Local", FALSE
      "UnitState", "HasHomeCity", "Local", TRUE
      "DiplRel",   "Is foreign",  "Local", FALSE
    }
Alien Valkyrie
Elite

Post by Alien Valkyrie »

cazfi wrote:
wieder wrote:t would be nice if you could donate units to other players.
I'm not sure if it's possible in S3_0, but at least the way action enablers for Home City action explicitly requires city not to be foreign would indicate that the requirement could be removed.
Pretty sure this was already tested and worked to give units to other players.
It would still be nice to be able to make it part of a pact though, since that way, the game would enforce that both parties commit to their part of the deal.
~ AVL