Unrealiable missiles

Contribute, display and discuss rulesets and modpacks for use in Freeciv here.
wieder
Elite

Unrealiable missiles

Post by wieder »

Civ2civ3 introduces cruise missiles with rocketry. However in the real world there has been missile long before the cruise missiles. The German built V2 was the first ballistic missile. It was a crude one and could easily miss the target.

With Freeciv the player will be always able to select the tile where the attack is going to take place. Instead of missing targets, I was wondering if it would be possible to make a missile unit simply more unreliable. The cruise missile in our ruleset now has attack of 20, FP 2 and HP 5. If I would like to make a similar but more unreliable unit, would Attack 20, FP 2, HP 1 make the trick? Or would there be some other way to make this happen? The actual values for both missile and cruise missile may be something different but these values should give the idea about what I'm attempting to do.
cazfi
Elite

Re: Unrealiable missiles

Post by cazfi »

Maybe increase FP so it deals more damage on those rounds it wins before comes the round it loses, at which point it dies.
dunnoob
Elite

Post by dunnoob »

Another oddity with missiles is that they can land (in a city, in an airbase, on a carrier, or on a submarine) and refuel: I plan to get rid of this, it makes it too easy to kill enemy cities near my main island. If a missile is launched it shall hit or miss, but not land again and wait for new victims.
wieder
Elite

Post by wieder »

Yeah, FP is probably the way to go here.

On missiles landing, there is probably no easy solution for that but I do have a plan to prevent subs from transporting nukes on LT40. Subs will be able to move missiles and cruise missiles but it's just too much if the nukes can be moved around the world in a single turn with a chain of subs.

Instead of subs maybe battleships could be able to launch a nuke. In LT40 they are very expensive (260 shields), relatively slow and very visible to the others. Not that devastating as chain of subs able to move lots of nukes at once.

Maybe not that realistic to remove this ability from subs but from the gameplay point of view it's much better that way. Too powerful is just too powerful.